Compare USB Cable Vs. DB9 cable

By bhavilu2
Jul 28, 2006
  1. I need help with two cables: I use serial port and USB port for faster connection to my pc for signature pad in a pharmacy... Is there any difference in speed or interference of this two cable and which ones are more useful over the other...pls help\

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

3. bhavilu2

bhavilu2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry about late reply, I wanted to know which cable, that is, serial or USB. Also i wanted to understand difference between USB 1.0 and 2.0 - mostly for speed and distance.
    I plan to use USB 2.0 / gold plated for higher speed - want to use about 15 feet of extention cable with existing USB cable...I am not sure if i have USB 1.0 or 2.0 cable that came with signature pad. As a result, i was concerned about compatibility since signature pad sometimes fails to recognize network connectivity due to USB extention cable being 1.0 or 2.0; therefore, i was wondring if i should use USB or serial...

Hope i am clear in what i should be asking...
    I hope some one can help.

4. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

I think any USB cable will work for any version of USB as long as you have it correct as far as type A or B. Check out Wikipedia's article on USB (link in Rick's post). Low speed is 1.5Mbit/s, full speed is 12Mbit/s, and high speed is 480Mbit/s.
    Hope this helps.
  5. bhavilu2

bhavilu2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

tank you for your help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.