Compatibility problem Sims2+Vista+GF8400GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Since I have a new computer with vista as OS running I'm not able to play Sims 2 (base version, no EP installed yet). The installation procedure went without any trouble.

System specs (as stated in dxdiag):
Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6001)
HP Pavilion --> GU589 AA m9060.nl

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2,2 GHz
2046 mbRAM memory
DirectX10

Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
1011 MB (=total memory?)

I am getting the following error messages (both messages are shown in Dutch, so I'll translate them to english):

1. This program has known compatibility issues.
Check online if there are solutions available at the Microsoft-website. If solutions have been found, the website automatically shows with steps you have to make.

The Sims 2 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows.

Now I have three options: Online searching for solutions, run program and cancel. If I press 'run program' I get the following error message:

2. No DirectX9.0c compatible graphics card has been found. Make sure you posess a graphics card that is compatible with DirectX9.0c and you have the most recent drivers installed. The program is now shutting down.

The following steps I've already checked to see if I could get my Sims 2 running again:
1. Installing the most recent drivers, didn't work.
2. Installing most recent DirectX version, didn't work.
3. Installing the DirectX version located at disc 1 of Sims 2, didn't work.
4. Uninstalling and (re-)installing the game and then starting the game with Administrator rights AND with microsoft XP ServicePack 2 checked, didn't work.
5. Again uninstalling and reinstalling the game, installment procedure combinated with Administrator rights and microsoft XP SP2 checked, didn't work.

I guess I tried it all by now, and I am out of ideas which I could test., so that's why I'm 'screaming' for help. If you're not sure but you do have a feeling that could be the solution please tell me. Thanks in advance!

[EDIT: I've read somewhere on this forum that GTA San Andreas could give the same issues. Someone said that he had problems with directx9.0c compatibility. However my GTA San Andreas could run without a problem, so I guess this problem isn't related to my directX version.]

[EDIT: I changed graphics cards,first I tried a 8600GT from a friend but it gave the same problem. Now I've got a 9600GT and still the problem 'No DirectX9.0c compatible graphics card has been found. Make sure you posess a graphics card that is compatible with DirectX9.0c and you have the most recent drivers installed. The program is now shutting down' the other problem has gone away aparantly...]

[EDIT: Now my computer runs on a 9800GT, works fine with GTA IV. I'm really frustrated since Sims 2 still isn't working. Directx9.0c can be installed but then it immeadetly finishes after starting the installation procedure. So I guess all the necessary components of directx9.0c are available and that my Sims 2 just hates Vista. My solution is creating a dualboot Vista+XP. But that's going to be a whole set of other troubles I've to deal with (like finding a vista copy since my supplier doesn't give a Vista copy on cd; I had to search for the entered validation keys myself).]

If anyone maybe knows a less disastrous solution please let me know before I screw it all up, it's very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back