TechSpot

Compatible or not?

By kirillsk8tr
Oct 5, 2007
  1. Hello all.
    Well, having a dell dimension 3000 is not the best thing in the world, but ive decided to upgrade it as good as i can. i will be buying a new graphics card any time soon, and as im not that pro with anything regarding computers i would like to know if anyone could help me put a list of things that i have to look at when im getting this new card. i know that only PCI slot card will work for me, so i have only a couple of choices. the 6200, the x1550/1350, the 9950, the fx5200/5600 and the 9100 graphics cards seem to be compatible with my computer. now, what i dont know is what else do i have to make sure of before i buy the card? for example does it matter if the clock speed of the card is different from my FBS? (too bad i couldnt find my FBS properties anywhere :D)
    what im asking basically is what i need to know for the card to ultimately WORK on my machine, not what the best card for my machine is.
    Any help is great
    Regards
    Kirill

P.S: also, if anyone wants to just tell me which of the cards listed above they would buy, or their own choice for a PCI slot, i would appreciate that too. ( games i want to play w/ better settings : Il2 Sturmovik 1946, flying sims, HoMM5 on full high (probably), The Guild 2, oblivion( not the best settings of course), and other games of 2000-2006. nothing uber-leet-new super demanding.)

2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

I can tell you that if you want to get some quality gaming done, you will need a motherboard with a PCI-E slot. It's just impossible to get any decent FPS with your PCI slot limitation. I ran a FX5200 in my Dell 3000. It was a little better but I hate to tell you but you must at least have an agp slot and at this stage of the game you would be shopping for a PCI-E slot. I would also get a larger case to build in because the Dell 3000 is so small and you will need room for your machine to breathe and have a chance at cooling. Don't be bummed. Start shopping and do a lot of studying on each part that you might use. In the end you will be happy instead of frustrated.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Any of the PCI cards should work. If I had to buy a PCI card, I guess it would be the Radeon X1300/X1550.

4. kirillsk8tr

kirillsk8tr TS Rookie Topic Starter

pdyck, i dont know maybe its freaky but with 1 gig of ram and the integrated build in graphics card i manage to play a flying sim which definately needs A LOT of fps, as objects are moving MAD fast, and i can still play it on medium without no serious lag, except sometimes at landings. and if buying any card will give me at least 2 times as much as i have now(im sure it will) then il be happy with it, but thanks for the great advice!

mailpup, thanks for that advice too, i was thinking of that card for some while now.

By the way where can i see how much power my comp uses and if i will need to upgrade that too if i get a PCI card?

5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

First you'll need to know what power rating your present psu is. If it's like most "run of the mill" Dells, it's probably somewhere in the range of 250-350 watts (in actuality, much lower under stress). The graphics card you want to purchase will have the power requirements on the box. A big (but not unsurmountable) problem now comes in finding a replacement that will fit the Dell. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it isn't. Each manufacturer puts custom made power supplies into their boxes. I've seen a few where the back panel had to be modified (cut and redrill mounting screw holes), but most times it's just a really tight fit.

6. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

7. kirillsk8tr

kirillsk8tr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.