Compatible psu`s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have A K8s-la Asus Motherboard, Amd 64 3400+ 200 Mhz Clawhammer Processor, And My Current Power Supply Is A Hipro 300w (the One Compaq Puts In) Its Ac Input Is 100-127v/8a,200-240v/4a The Dc Output Is +5v/25v, +12v/19a,+3.3v/18a,-12v/0.8a,+5vsb/2a I Dont Know What That Stuff Means In Related To How It Powers A Video Card Thats Just What I Read Off The Side.

My Question Is What Kind Of Power Supply Can I Get That Is Compatiable With My Motherboard And Give Supply Power To My Video Card I Have A Geforce 6800gs 256mb Gddr3 Agp4x/8x Card Picked Out But Need To Know If Its Going To Work If Anyone Who Is Leet At This **** Please Help Me!!!

it is probably a standard ATX PSU (it should say it's form factor on the side label).

Why do you think you need a new PSU anyways? just pop in the card and see if your PSU can handle it.

if it cant, or you just want replace the compaq PSU with quality PSU, then I would recommend Antec or Enermax

300W is WAY too small a PSU to power most modern motherboards AND video cards.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 450W preferably more.

Antec TruPower II 480 watt, It has detachable 4 pin mobo connector, so depening on your mobo, you can detach if you have a 20pin mobo, but i think in your case your mobo has 24 pin.

generally speaking most systems will never need more than 350W. since your system is running fine now with 300W (if that hippo PSU even provides that much), you will not need another 150W just because you are adding a vid card!

if your PSU is a quality brand, then you don't need a high wattage rating. The wattage ratings on a cheap PSU are max watts at low system temps. the actual watts that a cheap PSU can actually provide are much lower.

On the flipside, when you get a quality brand like Antec, you can trust that the wattage and current ratings are accurate and stable. As long as you get a quality PSU, you don't have to go crazy with wattage.

I have to agree with KingCody here. Whenever someone asks for a PSU recommendation everyone is quick to jump & advise to get a 450/500w behemoth for no reason.

You could get a reputed 380w psu which would allow you to use your card in good conditions & even add a hard drive or two later on.

sarhelo32 said:
I Have A K8s-la Asus Motherboard, Amd 64 3400+ 200 Mhz Clawhammer Processor, And My Current Power Supply Is A Hipro 300w (the One Compaq Puts In) Its Ac Input Is 100-127v/8a,200-240v/4a The Dc Output Is +5v/25v, +12v/19a,+3.3v/18a,-12v/0.8a,+5vsb/2a I Dont Know What That Stuff Means In Related To How It Powers A Video Card Thats Just What I Read Off The Side.

My Question Is What Kind Of Power Supply Can I Get That Is Compatiable With My Motherboard And Give Supply Power To My Video Card I Have A Geforce 6800gs 256mb Gddr3 Agp4x/8x Card Picked Out But Need To Know If Its Going To Work If Anyone Who Is Leet At This **** Please Help Me!!!

Im also getting the same exact cards mine is PNY brand their got it for 179.99 plus shipping / tax from tigerdirect.com Anyway Yeah my psu is also like 300 watts 295.4 is what I read. Right when I saw cards usually say they need a 350 watt or 400 watt psu I got scared and I started searching finding them so cheap but I couldnt make up my right mind. Newegg.com isn't working for me when I click purchase so I can't even get one right now. Im just gonna wait now I guess and see if my psu is a quality one that runs higher then its wattage rating? and see if it works. :) If it doesn't work what should i keep any eye out for? Like will I kno if i need a higher psu before something happens?

video card

I used to have a msi geforce 6600gt and i would play battlefield 2 for about an hour and the program would shutdown. So if you get random crashing when u know your card is working hard you need a stronger psu. Thats what im am doing im getting a new card but i know it needs 350w, just from what the other guys posted to me im gonna go with antec sure power 2.o 450w. and a evga 7800gs.

sarhelo32 said:
my psu is a 300 w hipro it came stock with my compaq and it sucks!

Hipro actually is not a bad OEM brand. Not Antec or anything, but they are pretty strong.

While i agree a 380W PSU may run the system ok, i never go under 400W. I think the PSU runs cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back