Competitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topps999

maybe have sum competitions (ect best photo, umm a question? umm.. most helpful in a week) dunno just ff the top of my head, could mayb get sum sponsors to donate or mayb a admin/ member to donate... dunno just an idea :)

Good idea

I think if you can overlook the grammar then you I agree with tops. Though it does need developing I am for something like that.

It'll liven up the fourms with some creativity and something new.

maybe have sum competitions (ect best photo, umm a question? umm.. most helpful in a week) dunno just ff the top of my head, could mayb get sum sponsors to donate or mayb a admin/ member to donate... dunno just an idea

I think it's a good idea. Don't get disheartened by frivolous comments.

Please do keep in mind that this is an international forum, with a wide spectrum of viewers.

You're bound to draw flak if you are not careful with your spelling or grammar.

How about a spelling / grammar competition?

And the 10% finishing last will be banned!

Why should only those falling in the bottom 10 percentile be 'banned' or disqualified? :p

Okay, here's one. What's the difference between continuous and continual ?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
How about a spelling / grammar competition?

Good idea :grinthumb ! I can't stand when people can't spell or speak in their own native language. We could hold karma awards, with the top earner receiving a privilege or some kind of "e-award" of some sort :) . Although this would have to be for members only (no moderators or admins :D).

I Have Something To Say

Ya`ll Don`t Need To Sit Around Judgin` People Because Of The Way They TYPE. If You Don`t Got NOTHiN` Nice To Say Don`t Say NOTHiN` At All. Thank You && Goodbye.

MissDipped2009 said:
Ya`ll Don`t Need To Sit Around Judgin` People Because Of The Way They TYPE. If You Don`t Got NOTHiN` Nice To Say Don`t Say NOTHiN` At All. Thank You && Goodbye.

That being said, this is a place of at least semi-professional environment. Typing lyke dis is not an effective way of communication for some, and is certainly not professional.

We are not judging, just expecting a certain level of maturity.

This is my take on the grammar debate.

It can be very annoying when someone posts in what I would call slang or text speak. Wherever possible, the use of plain English is easier to read and understand.

However, I`m also aware that due to the international nature of Techspot, not everyone has English as their first language. Therefore, some allowances have to be made. Also, some people do suffer from varying degrees of dyslexia, this is quite a common condition. Again allowances should be made to accommodate this.

As long as the point of a post is clearly understandable, I`m not bothered if it`s completely correct in grammatical terms.

Hell, I know for a fact, that some of my typing and grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but this is a tech site, not a literary site. ;)

Regards Howard :)

You brought out a very good point...I think that a resonse like, "Mi commmsputer is brokkesn" may show that someone might have some spelling issues, although someone typing, "My c0mput3r 1z br0k3n" is a little "off" of the chart if you know what I mean. Also, the use of capital letters might not be known to most non-native speakers of the English Language....for example, in Spanish (Julio + Wolfram could back me up on this ;) ) you do not capitalize certain things; for example "Monday" is written like "lunes" so there might be some errors. The only question I have is why that person didn't fill in their location knowing that they may not have mastered all grammatical aspects of a language? I typically see peolple write things like, "I no speak english well....from xxxxx", which at least tells us that they don't have the fluency that a native speaker would, so we can't bog them down with bad karma or be angry at them.

Well to a point

You cant really tell when a Brit types a thread or anyone else with an accent, other than key words like "watching the telly" or "fish and chips"

With that said, just because you think your from the hood and in reality a little white boy that plays WoW 90% of the day but wants to talk black does not mean you have to type like you talk.

"Wit diz" "Ya'll needz" and " Fo shizzle" are not propor english. Atleast make an effort to spell and type the way everyone else does. I am not a perfect speller or always use the best wording however I put an effort into atleast trying.

I understand people are always going to try and express themself however using hood or slang talk in your writtin communication is not a way to make you look smart or differnt. Let all use the language we agreed upon.....

Jall Gotz DaT ??

This:
maybe have sum competitions (ect best photo, umm a question? umm.. most helpful in a week) dunno just ff the top of my head, could mayb get sum sponsors to donate or mayb a admin/ member to donate... dunno just an idea :)
and
Are completely ridiculous, and I don't think behavior like that should be encouraged at all. It is intentionally poorly written and takes more effort to read. In the case of this thread it didn't affect the comprehension of the post. But it can and does affect it in threads where someone is asking for advice like the example below:
topps999 said:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74067.html
my tv is not flat screen/ hdtv that w ats im worried about and i googled it and same happened for me and i thoguth ebay mite give more detail as they was tryin to sell it but obviously not, anyways it is niot hdtv or flat screen and i dont no wat the dvi or hdmi are or mean, i have my ps2 connected to it wif a red white and yellow wire on the side, the make is samsung plano 29",

wat are the cables i need to connect my pc to my tv and were do they go, coz i have a lead to connect to my gpu card it splits in to 4 at the end tho, and i cant find 4 holes /gaps for these to go in to, only the 3 i use for my ps2.....

well after searching s video cable on google i realised that u wasnt answering my question fully but i now understand... my question was in shortened terms
i got a cable with my gpu cards, it splits in to 4 ends after plugging in to my card, do the 4 ends go in to where my ps2 goes or what cable would i need to do this...(((((wat are the cables i need to connect my pc to my tv and were do they go, coz i have a lead to connect to my gpu card it splits in to 4 at the end tho, and i cant find 4 holes /gaps for these to go in to, only the 3 i use for my ps2.....
)))))
i now realise that u answered saying i wudnt need the cable i was supplied with and i wudnt have to use the ps2 slots/holes thanks for your help i will be purchasing a s-video cable soon and i willl let you no how i get on

I think that is simply unacceptable.

If people make mistakes in spelling or grammar that is fine, usually a simple misspelling caused by either not knowing how to spell a more complex word, or switching 2 letters around because you were typing fast, when you go to completely changing the whole structure of the word into something else it becomes a problem.

I will no longer help topps999 out with any computer questions because of this, anyone else that intentionally screws up words will recieve the same lack of help from me. I'd encourage others to do the same. It is really a poor showing of the Techspot community and I hope we can passively control this issue by asking members to quit posting like that, or show them the door.

I don't really care about how people type their posts. I try to type in perfect English all the time, but I do use shortcuts such as "cos" for "because" and stuff like that.

I believe as long as its easily readable, AND understandable, it shouldn't be a problem. Like previously mentioned, this is not a literary site.

If someone would type like this "Ya`ll Don`t Need To Sit Around Judgin` People Because Of The Way They TYPE. If You Don`t Got NOTHiN` Nice To Say Don`t Say NOTHiN` At All. Thank You && Goodbye." or "My c0mput3r 1z br0k3n", I'm not going to sit in front of my computer for a couple of minutes figuring out what they're trying to say, or having a big headache reading between the broken capslock key.

And if its apparent that grammar is a problem, or the person has linguistic problems, I might spend more time figuring out the guy's problem, mainly cos he can't help it (there we go with the cos). It'd be nice if everyone typed in perfect English, but don't expect it.

SNGX1275 said:
If people make mistakes in spelling or grammar that is fine, usually a simple misspelling caused by either not knowing how to spell a more complex word, or switching 2 letters around because you were typing fast, when you go to completely changing the whole structure of the word into something else it becomes a problem.
Good job understanding my post BlameCanada.

The thread has now gone beyond its original purpose, so I'm closing it.

But before doing so... about competitions/contests, it's true we should start working on that and I hope to have the time to organize something soon. Last one was a Newegg initiative and not really ours. In the other hand (and prepare for a world exclusive), I'm getting married soon, which among other things tend to distract me a little bit from the site as you can imagine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back