'Complete' Defragmenter....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeseven

I have XP Home and am using the NTFS file system, I have read alot about the importance of frequent and 'complete' disk defragmenting. I dont believe XP's built in defragger does as good a job as some other's available so I would like to know which defragger is the best and most complete? Which do you use? Thanks

Ah, well its funny you should ask that because I was recently concerned at how poor Windows built in Defragmenter program was.

I recently started looking at O&O's defragmenter (more here : http://www.codework.com/perfectdisk/product.html ) and installed a free version. No complaints here. Its faster and more efficient than Windows, and installs itself into the computer management console so you can access it right along next to the other management stuff.

On a heavily fragmented RAID partition it took about 2-3 runs to get everything back to health again. However, more than 5 runs on Windows 2000's built in defrag program was having questionable results.

I recommend giving O&O a go!

I use Norton Speed Disk usually. It's fast, throrough and works well.

You are right to have doubts about Window's built in defragmenter. It does not touch the swapfile or MFT - Both of which are very important to defragment and place.

I've been using Norton's Speed Disk for a while and it works well. I had heard DiskKeeper was supposed to be better and more complete than any other defrag utility. I have since tried it and it does a good job but I see nothing better about it than most others(excluding the built in Windows Defrag Utility)

Well, certainly the one bundled with 2000 sux and there isn't even one with NT4!

Apart from the O&O product I mentioned, I have experience with disk keeper which someone else mentioned. That was good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back