Completely In The Dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lads and Lasses,

I am having a problem with my XP system that has me totally in the dark and I'd appreciate any light someone could shine my way. To date I have probably built and installed and resintalled Windows XP systems over a hundred times but I've never come across this problem.

Having had my fill of Vista I ripped it out of my system, reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP Professional on my new Dell Inspiron computer last night. After the auto updates had finished I had SP2 on the system. I also always load a set of standard codecs (currently DivX 6.2.1, Xvid 1.0.2, Apple QuickTime 8.x and aC3filter_0_70b) for any movie clips that I download to my system.

When I went to view a few movie clips tonight, however, I find that everyone of them except for the QuickTime files won't play video. They run with the sound playing just fine - and they all show up as proper thumbnails in my videos folder, but they don't show video - it's absolutely black?? I have over 300 clips composed of .mpeg, .avi, and .wmv files and the result is the same whether I use Windows Media Player or DivX Player. Only the QuickTime files will play properly with that player. I have installed Windows Media Players 9 and 10 with the same result. I am completely stumped as to what may be the cause. No other media players or applications except for Jukebox are installed on the system yet. All of these files played properly before I got tyhe Dell with Vista installed, and with Vista installed on the new PC. Only after I deleted Vista and reverted to XP did this happen. Does anybody have a clue as to what my problem might be? Thanks very much.

D. Bland
Dazed and Confused in Virginia

Hello, dbland3, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, try downloading the latest drivers for your graphics card.

The codec files might be messed up. Try downloading and installing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (when you come to the installation screen with all the checkboxes, check all of them except the one for the Morgan Stream Switcher thingy). Try playing the videos then with WMP and see what happens. Also, try out Daveskater's suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back