completely random restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
im running an amd 2600+, 1.25 gigs of ram, ati 9600xt, and an 80 gig HD, there is no problems w/ the ram, its service pack2 XP, there is no BoSD, it just randomly restarts and wont boot up for quite a while, it just hits a continually loop of reboots, it goes to the boot load screen, and asks what you want to do and no matter what option you pick it cycles to boot again and again, until it will randomly break out of it, i have 4 of the final sections of the minidumps i can post... theres alot, so i wont post them until you guys ask for them.

Heres what im looking @:

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
3 of the minidumps are w/ the win32.sys file and one of them is w/ the NAVAP.sys(norton antivirus)

heres what ive done as preventative measures:
ran scannow
ran memtest86
scandisk
defraged page file and HDD
ran the ati tool and found no errors
looked at the event viewer and they only corrosponded w/ the minidumps (meaning there wasnt any other noted problems)

i have no clue where to begin to resolve this issue, anything will be most appreciated :)

I just joined this forum because I have a similar problem. two weeks ago my Dell Dimension, XP Home Edition, PC froze at startup. I've been using this PC for 3+ years without incident. Dell worked on it for 4 days with me on the phone and could not fix the problem. I then went to Best Buy and purchased a new tower unit and a new laptop for my wife. After the tower unit was working fine for 3 or 4 days it also froze on startup. It looks like it is booting up but then flashes a screen for about 1 second and then it freezes with a black screen. Best Buy's Geek Squad Techs. have been working on this problem and have spent 4 hours at my home. The last time they got the system up and running and it looked good. I did my email on the system and shut it down normally. the next morning (yesterday) I got up and pushed the power button and the system froze in the same manner. I considering returning the system to Best Buy but would rather have it fixed. BB is being great about responding. A tech is supposed to come out again today. Any ideas ????
rich

I have a similar problem with my XP Professional. There were some error messages to begin with about a possible hardware problem and now the computer goes into hibernation with black screen almost as soon as it has tried to read the hard drive or the DVD. It doesnt recognise the rescue DVD. I am about to put the hard disc into another machine as a slave to backup my data. The guy who sold me the computer says it sounds like a virus and should be fixed by a clean installation or Windows - we'll see.

You should both Google and get memtest and run it for at least seven passes.
If you get any errors at all then it means your RAM is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back