TechSpot

Computer Behaving Oddly: Won't Boot, Then Locks Up When It Does

By Alexborn007
Apr 26, 2006
  1. Hello,

I have a three year old PC (Specs Below), that has started to act very oddly. Sometimes, I will turn it on, and the hard drives spin and the disc drives turn on...but no image appears on the screen. I verified this wasn't a video card problem because that crapped out a few weeks ago ;)

Then tonight, the same thing happened again then it shut itself off. A second attempt shut the computer off again, and it beeped at me. Someone suggested I reseat the RAM and that got XP to load back up again, but now the computer freezes intermittently; something which up until a week ago NEVER happened.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide about this!!! I'm at my wits end.

CPU Specs:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    420 Watt Power Supply
    INTEL D875PBZ Motherboard
    Pentium 4 3ghz 512k L2 Cache 800mhz FSB
    2x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM
    2x Seagate Barracuda 120GB 8MB Cache
    ATI Radeon X1300 256MB

2. benken2202001

benken2202001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 114   +16

could be a bad ram stick, or overheating. Try seating only the bare minimum. 1 HDD, 1 stick of ram.

3. 0009

0009 TS Rookie

hmmm since its turning itself off i think its the motherboard. just go with the advice of benken and see what that does.

4. nork

nork TS Maniac Posts: 306

Personally i would bet on ram gone bad. It certainly can and does give all the symptoms you are describing. Can you get a stick of ram from somewhere to test this theory, like borrow one from a friend?
    Of course, it could be a bad cpu as well, but i would bet on the ram.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.