Computer blanks screen, turns off screen, sits there and doesn't respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

I have been having a problem with my laptop recently.
I will be using it, not doing anything too abnormal or taxing on the CPU or any part of the system, and it crashes.

Now, if it just crashed and gave me the Blue Screen of Death, I'd write it off as a typical windows fluke that could be fixed with a driver update, or if worst comes to worst, a reload of the OS from scratch.

However, it doesn't just crash, it does this:

Blank Screen (Black, backlight still on.)
Kills backlight, obviously still black, cuts any audio playing.
Sits there with the HDD and sometimes fan still running, seems like everything should be fine, it's as if the screen went and shut off on me for no reason, but there is evidence that other functions are not working either... (sound cutting off, etc.)

However, when I finally restart it (by holding the power button down for about 10 sec.), it doesn't give me any error messages at all. Not even the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message you get when it crashes and restarts. I checked the Event Viewer, but no luck, nothing listed there either.

I have taken the following steps to try and fix this:
-Replaced the Hard disk drive. (This I knew was bad, as it was not storing files correctly in windows or linux.)
-Reloaded Windows XP Professional
-Tried a different Video driver (This may still be the problem, but I tried the one supplied by the manufacturer and it still crashed...)
-Updated Windows XP. I noticed XP wasn't updated, so I updated it with the 80 some updates from windows, and I am currently (while typing this) waiting for it to crash...)

Any ideas? (Sorry about the long post...)

I did test the memory a while back, I don't remember how many passes I let it do, but I have replaced the RAM in my laptop (upgraded to 2 GB ^_^) anyways, and I am booted in XP right now, playing music in winamp seeing if it will crash like the last time...

I suspect that you are correct that the memory could have been a problem, but the thing didn't crash at all in vista... so that makes me suspicious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back