Computer boots (most of the time) and then cuts out after 1-3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryc

Hey guys,

Ok, here's the problem. I've been using said computer for about 4 years. Never really had a problem. A few weeks ago, I got a new XPS 420 to replace it. So the old computer was left around for about a week before i moved it to another room and set it up. It booted the same as always and was running for 5 hours when it turn off. No "windows is shutting down", just a click, and then nothing. Since then, most of the time it boots okay (Sometimes it gets stuck on startup and i need to switch it off at the back.) but when its on for an hour or two, it turns off again. I checked the connections and noticed the the monitor port was moving a bit. I opened up the case, and it had come unstuck from the screw, but was still plugged in fully. Any clues. (By the way, this happens when i boot in XP and Vista.

Computer is a Medion from ALDI (I'm so ashamed :p)

Radeon 7000
Intel pentium 4
1gb RAM

Sorry, i dont know the rest of the spec, because i'm not on that computer at the moment. If you need more info, i'll boot it up and check.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ger

Hmm... I was thinking of something like that, but i found it strange that it worked fine for years (being left on for days at a time) and now after 1 weeks of no use, it's not working... What did you have to do to fix it?

i just bought a new PSU, that fixed my problem.

my dads computer went down the same way but it took the mobo with it, it happened after a power outage though, he was working in MS Money, the power went out and he booted back up continued his work then the computer just shutdown 1 hour or so later, it did that for about a week until it wouldnt power on at all. i changed the PSU and it would come on and i would get no POST,but hdd spin and a steady green light on the floppy drive and cdrom. so i ordered the same mobo and replaced it and its been working great since.

i can't guarantee that is your problem but it sounds that way. my dad left his on for weeks at a time disregarding my warning of doing so, so i think thats what took out his el-cheapo PSU.

Do you have a spare PSU to test this theory with? if not i would just grab a 35USD or so one off the net 300-400W nothing fancy just the basic PSU.

yeah, i have a PSU from an old win98 computer, but i've never had to change one before :p i amn't a hardware type of guy. Ever since i bought an 8800gts before realising that my mobo didn't have a PCIe port. Worst birthday ever :D

clean it out and re-seat all hardware
you can even try taking cpu heatsink off and adding new thermal paste
moving may have caused something to come loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back