Computer boots, reboots, and freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

blvtzpk

Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated!

I've recently built a new computer and for the first two weeks it has been working fine. However, this morning I pressed the power button and the computer booted, but after a few 'boot up noises' the computer rebooted but, once again, with no signal sent to the monitor so I could see no bios info.

This is a bit short-on for information, so please ask me any details that would be of use to you in order to give me advice.

Thanks!

Gigabtyte GA-8I915P-D Pro
Intel pentium 4 3.2 Ghz LGA775
2 X 512mb RAM
430W PSU
Albatron 6600GT graphics card

1 day bump...

I'll add some more information, if that helps.

After the second boot, all the fans on the mother board case etc are running including the fan on the graphics card.

My concern is with the graphics card or the PSU. When the computer was booting up correctly in its first two weeks of existence, I'd often get a message from the graphics card program telling me that the card was not receiving enough power and that it would be set to a lower performamce level. If I had to reboot during a session on the computer I'd find that this message would not reappear.

I hope this helps...

Then the problem should be almost clear.
Give us the exact brand and model and whatever other info you have about your power supply. If it was a built-in PSU that came with the case, you almost certainly can throw it away, or use as a doorstopper.
Did you connect the extra square 4-pin cable for the CPU?

Thanks for getting back to me. The PSU is a Super Flower SF-400TS. The extra 4 pin cable was attached.

I was given the PSU by a friend, who'd received it from another friend. It was in a box for a different PSU (but with the same wattage 400/420W). I didn't realise this until I went to the PSU to check these details for you.

I replaced my former case's PSU (330W) with this unit.

Your suggestions?

If that is the one with the 140mm fan, you have a fine piece of equipment there, although, depending on the rest of your hardware, it may be borderline!
Go to http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ to check your power-requirements

That graphics card needs about 100watts by itself. Borrow someone else's card or try yours in another PC. I think it may be faulty.

Thanks again.

I did the PSU calculation, and my system does not use anywhere near 400W

I took the graphics card out and started the computer and, without a graphics card, it went through the same 'double boot' sequence as before. Is this natural?

I installed the card once again and the same 'double boot' sequence occurred again.

Unfortunately, I have no other machine in which to test this card, and don't know another person whose card I can borrow, so the 'testing' routes you've suggested aren't options for me.

So, from what we've discussed here, you feel the most likely problem is a faulty graphics card? I just want to know before I go through the (usually) lengthy process of getting hardware swapped over.

To tide you over, go get a cheap card, e.g Sapphire Radeon 9200SE Atlantis 128MB AGP.
Even in my expensive country Ireland, they only cost about Euro 45.-
Then return your card if still under warranty.

By the way, don't hold me on this, it is only an educated guess, based on what few symptoms I get from a distance!

My Albatron card was for a PCI express motherboard (Gigabtyte GA-8I915P-D Pro). Would the Radeon you recommend work on this board? If not, could you tell me what's another budget PCI-E alternative?

Is there any other info I can give you to help you with your long distance diagnosis'?

Ooops, I did not inspect your mobo specs. Temporarily you will need an ordinary PCI graphics card. These are becoming rarer than hen's teeth!
You don't have AGP on your mobo.
Could be that the new PCI-E fad is not quite mature yet, so try and RMA that card.

I have a Sparkle SP6800M4 64 MB (GeForce2 MX400 64MB) graphics card from my old comp (circa 2001!!!). Could this be used in the new mobo?

If that is a PCI-card, YES, if AGP-card, NO.
Hold the card ALONG the white PCI-slots. If it matches, it is PCI.
If the part with the contacts is shorter and begins further away from the back-panel, it is AGP.

I'm not entirely sure if its PCI or AGP, but its contacts certainly doesn't match up with the graphics card slot on the mobo. An image of the old card I have is here: http://www.hardwareseeker.com/products/Sparkle_SP6800M4/

EDIT: Looking at some other sites, it's clear that it must be an AGP card. :( Oh well...I shall see if I can get an el cheapo PCI at one of my local stores - there still might be some on the sale tables! :)

One question - what does 'RMA' mean?

It is an AGP-card.
Check with friends for an old card they might have laying around.
RMA = abbreviation for Return Material Authorization.
Contact the manufacturer/supplier with your problem. If they agree, they will send/email you an RMA-number, under which you can send it in for repair/replacement or whatever.

I'm taking the graphics card back today to the store that sold it to me - they may be able to do a quick test on it in their back room, where they themselves build computers for sale. Otherwise it'll go back to the agent for the card here in Japan.

However, my colleague (the one who suggested I quiz you, as you'd helped him before) asked me to ask you if you think it might be a question of the RAM that I'm using (something that was his problem when he asked question here). Do you think it might be a RAM issue? I'm using two sticks of PC43000 512MB RAM.

Well, I took the graphics card to the store from which I bought it. They put it into a test machine, and the card worked fine! So, back to square one...

Any suggestions?

Is your memory NON-ECC and UNbuffered?
www.crucial.com does not list anything faster than PC4000 for your mobo.
That memory might not be compatible.
Go to www.memtest86.org (or .com) and get memtest86.
Run it first on 1, then the other, and finally both together mem-sticks.
Borrow someone's PC3200 ram to see if that works.

Well, it DOES seem to be a memory problem. I took out a stick of RAM and the the computer started FINE. When I reinserted the stick of RAM the problem started again. I moved the stick of RAM to another slot and the computer would not start. I took out the 'good' stick of RAM, and replaced it in the same slot with the 'bad' RAM and...the computer wouldn't start. I removed the 'bad' RAM, replaced in the slot with the 'good' RAM and, voila, the computer started again. It appears the problem is a bad stcik of RAM - does it seem like it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back