Computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

about building a computer

Hi, i am going to be 13 years old and i am into building computers, i have learned alot but im not quite shore that i am redy to yet.

Here is what i know

I know how to bacily assemble the computer

I know what prosser is compatible with what board's example a LGA 775 prosser is compatable with only a LGA 775 motherboard

know how to install cd drives, flopy, hdd, ect

know what slave, master settings are and how to change them

What i do not know

I do not know what to do on first boot

do not know how aPCI, PCI express 1x pci express 16x looks different because i have only worked with regular pci and agp

do not know what is better AMD or INTEL

i think i know how to install indows but i not 100% confident

I do not know where the Sata, Ide ata cable go into the motherboard (the motherboard manual has that?)

I do not know how to get ram to run in Duel Channel mode (because i have never done it)

If u could help me and tell me if i am redy to build a computer

I know where to shop for all componites (besides case) www.newegg.com

Thank you

PS. IM thinking of a P4 640 3.2 Ghz 64-bit with 1 gb of kinston ram, with a nivida 6600 GT anda Western Digital 80GB hdd IDE\ ATA

You should problay know a litte more it will be very helpful in the end. To anwser
some of your questions as far as pci and pci express it will say on the m/b or in the manual. I like Intel over AMD but AMD are cheaper. To install windows is not all that hard you just install all the hardware than boot and make sure all the settings in the bios are right than reboot and insert and Windows install disc and the rest is easy. You just plug the hard drive cables into the m/b like you plug in
the cd drive cables. You should be ready for the most part but you should have someone that has built computer before help you or give you some pointers. I wouldn't buy a 64bit cpu unless you plane on buying the Win XP 64bit edition. also make sure you are grounded when you start putting in the compotents. Hope it works out. What Mother board are you getting. :hotouch:

well im gonna wait for 3-5 months when windows xp 64-bit addition comes out then i will start i thnk i need to get some cash first. Here is my set up i was thniking about but in 3-5 or 6 months i will probibly be going with a 3.4 p4 64-bit but dod u no when windows xp 64-bit eddition will come out and when it will cost. i will not spend over 250 on an OS ever so if its to expensive ill go with 2k pro I heard good things about 2k pro.

Thankyou for your help

swker98

ps. i mean what will cost

ok thanks and what is RAID an how do u connect a SCSI drive. and i heard u need a 24-prong wire from the psu to connect LGA 775 mobo, does that mean i need a special PSU. You dont know what the price is right?

Thanks

swker98

If the case doen't have a good psu you might want to upgrade. You should have 450w or more for your computer as for brands Thermalake is a good brand but make sure it will fit your case. :hotbounce

im sorry my last post on RAID was answered in the link u sent sorry, and what is an SCSI hard drive

Thanks

swker98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back