Computer Building Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
Well, after frying my motherboard due to extreme stupidity on my part :blush:,
I've got my parts set up again for, well... Setting up the computer.
Here's my planned way to set up my computer:

1) Set up standoffs correctly (only on holes that correspond to the motherboard) and install back panel
2) Insert PSU
3) Insert CPU/Heatsink on motherboard
4) Insert RAM on motherboard
5) Install motherboard onto standoffs inside the case
6) Connect the proper wires
7) Install graphics card on motherboard
8) Boot up

Does this sound right? If not, PLEASE correct me!
Also, can someone explain proper grounding techniques for installing the computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Ah, I forgot to mention. My case came with a rather thick metal ring. Is there any use for this?

Sounds good to me. As for grounding, the "proper" way is to get an antistatic wrist strap. The easiest way is to always be aware that you could be building a static charge. The best way is to build this on your kitchen counter or table top and before you do any touching of electronic parts touch your case. Everyone will tell you to not build on carpet because of that, but I've done it countless times and never fried something, just touch your case every once in a while and don't slide around on the carpet too much.

As for the metal ring, you are supposed to run those small wires (power switch, reset, leds, speaker) from your case through that ring, loop them through, before plugging into your motherboard. I'm not convinced that that is critical, I've not done that on a couple machines and never had problems.

Oh, and when you put the standoffs in, always put them in tighter than you expect to screw the motherboard in. It sucks when you are trying to remove the motherboard and half of the screws come out, and the other half you are unscrewing the standoff.

It's not a critical difference but I prefer to install the PSU after installing the motherboard. The cables just get in the way.

If you aren't using a wrist ground strap, touch the metal chassis of the case frequently to discharge any static buildup.

I disagree Bruce. It is much easier to install an already populated motherboard than installing everything into the cramped case.

yah ia gree with mailpup i like to install the psu after the mobo it just works easier for me. also bruce try and keep it tidy inside LOL

Acclamator said:
I disagree Bruce. It is much easier to install an already populated motherboard than installing everything into the cramped case.

Logically you are right. But in my experience the board is usually doesn't easily fit into the case perfectly. There are some pushing and tugging required. If moving a loaded board too much something may come loose such as your perfectly seat hs/f. Also, you may miss a screw or two with all the parts on it.

On the other hand, a mounted board is much more sturdy to work on. Also you can check for shorts and to make sure there is good grounding before putting other parts on, which save some trouble later when problem arrived. For the unexperienced, you can look at the whole lay out so you would be sure the best way the after market hs/f will be facing.

Installing the PSU first is a better idea for some, the wires can usually be pushed out of the way easy enough to not cause problems installing the motherboard. Some cases you won't be able to get the PSU in because the HSF is going to block it.

So it depends on your case on whether you should put the PSU in first or not.

yah SNG is right i mean putting the psu after is not like a must do thing but if it is more easier for u to install it first then go for it dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back