Computer completely dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molly's Mom

There appears to be no electricity getting to the computer. It is completely dead. It's a Gateway about 4-5 years old. We have tried all the obvious things like changing cords and outlets. The cover is off. No apparent damage. Nothing seems to be loose.

Any suggestions on what hardware may have gone bad? Power supply?

Yes! of course a power supply problem. Here's a step by step procedure in diagnosing this problem:

1. Turn on your computer. (ok I know it wont turn on but just turn the power on), check at the back of your cpu. is the power supply fan spinning? If not, then you'll have to throw away that power suppy & start buying a new one.

2. If the fan is spinning but the computer is still 'dead', open the cover & check whether all the power connectors is connected properly. Usually, they're 2 'female' power connectors that must have to be connected to the motherboard (1 is the biggest connector of your power supply & the other is a 2x2 hole connector (a square-shaped one). Try searching for a 'male' socket on your motherboard for these 'female' connectors. Maybe you forgot to connect one.

3. If the fan is spinning & you're extremely sure that you connected all connectors properly but the CPU still dead, Then check your RAM whether it is pushed/plugged properly onto the socket. You can try taking off the RAM from it & re-seat it again & then turn on your computer. Again, make sure it is properly pushed/plugged.

4. If still cannot, try you borrow a RAM from your friends (make sure you borrow a correct type of RAM and it's working well. Then fit the RAM onto your motherboard & try turn on again.

5. If still cannot on, ermm.. I don't know what's next. Maybe your processor???

I hope this procedure works but also, I do hope for other's opinions. Thanx!

Computer completely dead

You are undoubtedly right. There is NO fan spinning when I turn on the computer. There is no sound at all.

What causes a power supply to die like that? The computer is 4 years old and hasn't been used that much. I get online a couple of times a week and use it to do my Quicken accounting.

I have been careful to unplug the power strip when the computer is not in use. However, my phone was out of service (I heard it was a cut line) justa couple of days before this problem started. I have never unplugged the phone cord too, so it was still plugged into the computer. Is there any chance at all that something came through the phone line to destroy my power supply?

I really appreciate your answers. It made the situation clear -- no power supply... no power.

It really could be anything from a power surge to just the psu failing.

I had a psu blow up on me some time ago, it went with a real bang, and scared me half to death lol.

Get a new psu and anti surge protection, and you should be good to go.

HERE is a handy wattage calculator you can use to find out how much power your pc uses.

And HERE is a really good article on which psu to buy and not to buy.

And HERE is some info about antisurge units.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Well, I am happy to know this! Thanx a lot!

Howard, great job you've done here. congrats.

So Molly's Mom, before you go buy a new psu, you should read/follow Howard's suggestion/solution for choosing an excellent psu for your system.

Good luck with your new psu in advanced.

Computer completely dead

Thanks very much for the advice. I found this website when I was researching what might be wrong with this computer. I am so glad I found it! It's great and it's a wonderful feeling to know I can talk to others who are love computers and know how they work.

Thanks for the articles. Very interesting.

Re: First Post...

Re: First Post I would have to say that your probblem is 99.95555555555555% PSU And as Everyone has told you all kinds of good things to do to make sure it was your PSU. so here is a good thing to take you anger out on the old PSU... YOu will need a good size yard or park, a box about 1' x 1' x 1' and a 25 Lb sledge hammer... AKA an MBFH. Place the box abot 30 meters away from the PSU pace off with the PSU like you would a Golf ball drive the hammer back and yell FORE!! and strike it... Even if you do not get a PSU in one it is still a good way to vent. :hotbounce :giddy:

Computer completely dead

Sounds good!

One question -- the Gateway computer that is dead has a 90 watt power supply. Can we put a 300 watt supply in its place without causing anything else bad to happen?

I don't understand the wattage situation. I heard they don't even make 90 watt power supply units anymore. Minimum is pretty much 300 or more.

Is there any reason to worry about putting in high wattage? The Gateway has a 10-GB 4500 RPM Ultra 66 Hard Disk Drive (Quantum) in it with 128 mb.

I know -- gag. It's really my daughter's computer. My husband and I have (between us) two Dell desktops (4400 and 4600) and a year old HP Pavilion laptop that's sweet! Another Compaq laptop with Win 98 on it is a backup from the good old days.

Any problems with more wattage? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back