Computer completely destroyed in 25 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a curiosity question, and has nothing to do with my current computer which is running fine.
On my old laptop I downloaded some music files, of I had no issue with anything until about 5 minutes later. I tried to open one of the files with itunes, and
what I'm assuming happened is that the virus or whatever it was started eating my hard drive. I ran norton and norton found nothing, so I assumed it was being blocked by
whatever malware I had downloaded(when I ran norton it would finish the scan in 0.1 seconds after scanning 0 files).Eventually I tried running norton in safe mode, no luck, safe mode was also corrupted
and ran incredibly slow, whatever it was had taken a BIG bite out of my harddrive and my RAM. Nothing showed on my task manager. It was definately running something in the background.
After about 20 minutes my computer froze. It would never boot up past the Toshiba information screen, system restore did nothing...

I sent it in to toshiba and they analyzed it, apparently its harddrive was REALLY messed up. Almost completely over loaded. They replaced the harddrive it and sent it back to me free of chage. Out of curiousity I was wondering if anyone
knew a virus that could do something like this? Like a file name or something, so I can see if it was what was in my computer (like a link to the symnatec virus definitions or something?) Ya I know this is probably useless because there is probably alot,
but I mean is there a common one that people commonly complain about?

also unrelated question, I have a dead computer (no virus it just died cause HP sucks), and its harddrive is fine and has alot of files I want. Do
you guys know how I can transfer the data? (I'd prefer not to send it to shop, I did that the first time and it cost me $70!!!).

Well there's a few questions there, but I'll be brief

Your first issue was not a Virus (possibly indirectly, but still no)
It was a faulty Harddrive, probably caused by Norton using so much resource (as it always does) and basically running the Harddrive down, until it faulted
I suppose the rule of thumb here, is don't use Norton

As for common Virus\Malware
Well you are right there are a few. I did know one that did similar issues to the first Harddrive problem (wiping drives) But since everyone uses an updated Antivirus, then this is a no issue, any more.
I suppose the rule of thumb here, is always use a good updated Antivirus software

Further to these issues that users often have (Virus\Malware infection)
All members should be directed to:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
Where they can hopefully remove these pests, and also get a good free Antivirus software package.

----------------

Regarding transfer of data

Well I need to say, that to avoid this issue in future always make external backups first (ie to CD or flash drive etc)

But if Windows has become corrupted and will not start any longer (including in Safe Mode)
Then here are your choices:
1. Use a bootable CD (for instance the UBCD or Linux live BootCd)
And back up your data whilst in the GUI (like Windows desktop) of that free operating system
2. Physically remove the Harddrive, and mount it in another working Windows computer as a secondary drive, and then backup from there

I hope that answers all your questions :)

I've found the easiest way to get files off of a faulty computer is to take out the harddrive and hook it up to an IDE (or SATA) to USB adapter. I won't post a link to a specific one, but they usually only cost about $20. Then you can connect the usb cord to a usb port in a working computer and it will show up as a removable storage device. (as long as it's not the harddrive that is physically defective)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back