Computer Constantly Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a router so that I can have the same internet on 2 computers. My other computer downstairs is a bit older than this one. I had to open the case and put in the wireless adapter twice because the first time it wasn't in the PCI slot fully. Here's where the problem started; sometimes when I started the computer, it would goto the Windows XP welcome screen and then just reboot by itself. It did this a couple more times but then it finally started fine. I also noticed that the Windows Error Reporting Service showed up, it said that there was a serious error. It took a while to get the internet working on the downstairs PC, but I did it.

The next day, I turned on the computer and it worked fine, internet worked and everything. I shut it down and turned it on a few hours later and this time it started rebooting by itself on the welcome screen again. I tried seeing if the chords are plugged in properly and everything but it kept restarting at the same point. Now when I ran safe mode, I opened msconfig and with a lot of playing around, I found out that when the service "Plug and Play" is checked, the computer reboots on startup, and when it is unchecked, it boots up except that nothing works, no sound, no internet, and device manager doesn't work. When I ran the computer without the Plug and Play service, I got the Windows Error Reporting Service again, with the same message. It said something about the "Internet Protocol". I can find the exact message if needed. So I figure Plug and Play has something to do with the rebooting.

I may be having this problem possibly because I may have damaged something while working with the PC case opened, maybe something's wrong with the wireless adapter, or anything else.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help.

Have you recently installed any new software? If so then try reinstalling it.
Have you recently installed any new hardware? If so then check the drivers.
Always take these steps first for problems like this.

Hope this helps!

so you've figured it down to your plug and play adapters..

go back into safe mode and find a folder C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the latest 5. Re-enable all settings you've disabled via msconfig.

If you're up to it, turn off, unplug your PC and open it up. pull it apart so you're left with the minimum setup of PSU, CPU/Motherboard, audio and visual, 1 stick of RAM and 1 HDD. Now boot up into normal windows and see if its stable or not. If it is stable, then shut down and attatch one device that you've taken off and test again. Repeat if your successful, untill you find your culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back