Computer crash/black screen within 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have been having this problem for a while now. Thank you for helping.

I have:
A7N8X-X
AMD2700
Corsair 512 ram 3200
Ti-4400 or PNY 6600

My comupter would crash or turn black screen within 10 minutes after start up. It will either give me a blue screen saying there is a hardware failure or just simply turn black. First, I thought it is an video card issue, so i went to buy a new card, the PNY6600. The problem seems to disappear for a week, then it came back. I cleaned everything and it is still the same. So I thought it might be a software/driver issue. I format my HD and reinstall windows. During the installing process, the computer freezes/black screen again ( i tried several time, same thing happen everything). Now, I ran out of idea and have no clue which piece of hardware should i replace.

I am thinking it shouldn't be the video card, since it is new. Have any one of you have this kind of problem before? If you need any extra information, please ask me. I will try my best to answer.

Thank you very much
rich

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Sounds like a temp problem.
I'd look to the cpu/heatsink fan.
Make sure heatsink is clear of dredded dust bunnies, fresh thermal paste (AS3 or 5).
Possibly the PSU..
Try running pc wizard or everest to watch temps.
In the bios you should have "harware monitoring" for temps.
Just go into bios and watch the temps there for 10 to 15 mins.

G'Luck

thank you so much for replying.

My fan does seems to have a little problem. It has been making a rattling sound. I would try to get a new fan and heatsink and see if that can solve the problem. I did use to temp monitor software before, but i think the temp was around reasonable range( i might be wrong though).

Does Power Supply cause this kind of system crash? Just a random guess, because i did use up all the power outlet i have. I have a 450W, it is connected to 1 CDROM, 3 HD, CPU fan, and Video card Fan.

rich

Will PSU cause this kind of problem?
yes it will.

when other components malfunction or conflict, you generally get a BSOD and an automatic restart. when your PC is drawing more power than the PSU can provide, the system will in many cases just instantly shut off. or can cause all kinds of hardware failures because your components are not getting the solid, stable power they need.

A new qualty PSU is a good place to start. Reguardless of whether it is the source of the problem or not, a new PSU would be a wise and worthy investment to protect your system.

I personally recommend Antec, but there are other quality brands such as Enermax, Sparkle, or Fortron (FSP) that will also provide clean, stable, and solid power. generally speaking a non-SLI system will not need more than 350watts, so there's no need to go crazy with wattage either. you can use a PSU wattage calculator like this one to see how many watts your system requires.

also... bear in mind...
The total Watts is important but the Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. Because of the increased power consumption of the new high-power video cards the recommended minimum for +12V is 26A, for SLI 35A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back