Computer crash, bsod occasionally, no solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I built a system about 6 months ago, here are the specs.

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 250mM Fan, 2 x 120mm, 2 x 90mm (1 90mm I d/c as it is unballanced)
MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
4 x G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
BFG 800W ATX PSU
BFG Geforce 8500 GT 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCIe x16 Video Card
Lite-On 16x DVD burner
NEC 4x DVD burner
60GB WD Caviar HDD EIDE Master
120GB WD Caviar HDD EIDE Slave
Windows XP pro x64

I started with Win XP Pro x32, a rosewill 600w PSU, an MSI GeForce 8400GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card, and did not game really. Ran fine for a while. I reformatted and the problems began.

During install, it gave me BSOD and physical memory dump error a few times. let sit as I figured the VC overheated, but wasn't sure why. Finally installed, reset thermal paste on CPU, temps ran at about 30 c for all 4 CPU cores, and 42 c for VC. I installed WoW, played for a while and it froze, shut down. Tried a few more times and same thing. Phys mem dump BSOD. I tried the Geforce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR 3, ran even hotter, settings were on performance, not quality. All drivers have been up to date on all 3 video cards, MB chipset drivers good as far as I know, thermal paste is good, nice and thin, cores run cool, fans keep case at about 30 c. I just upgraded to XP x64, ran OK for a bit, just got it again out of nowhere (BSOD), no gaming, just watching a video.

I have a decent knowledge of computers, no real formal training, I feel i have reached the peek of my knowledge, not sure how to go about deciphering event viewer for this issue, if anyone can help, please baby step me like an imbecile to the steps I should take for further assistance, I don't mind in the least, and would GREATLY appreciate the help and further knowledge!

Thanks a lot in advance!

You really need to uninstall the video card and install a simple VC card or use on-chip video during an OS install. Remove and USB devices or PCI sound and NIC cards if you have them, before starting a "problem" OS install

bear in mind, drivers for x64 are limited an buggy. If the game was made for x32 then run it under x32.

X64 is new to me, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Is there someway to run x32 with x64 installed, or do I have to clean install x32 again? My only real issue is that I just upgraded to X64, and these problems started in X32, with 2 clean installs of x32.

And what do you mean by simple VC? I see the geforce 8500 as a pretty basic VC. All my USB and periphs were uninstalled through setup and install of the OS. Soundcard is onboard, NIC is onboard ethernet, only thing installed aside from HDD, CPU, DVD Drives, and case USB's (with no devices attatched) during setup is the VC as I do not have an onboard. Sorry if I don't understand, but please elaborate.

Simple video card is a PCI card, not AGP or PCIx16... Other than this, set the bios to failsafe defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back