Computer crash... vertical lines appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm super new to the site, but in need of some help.

I have a off the shelf pc from hp which is about a yr old now. The problem occurs randomly, though usually when using more than one program or running aim. The computer, without warning, will change from the normal screen to one that is beige in color with vertical thin blue lines. They seem like a pattern on the screen, not like a test pattern or anything, but the bars aren't randomly dispersed. This is the most common look for the screen during failure, though I've also seen it pure beige, and a dark blue with lighter blue vertical lines.

The only way out of the issue is a hard shutdown (holding the power button until power loss) CTRL+ALT+DEL has no effect, and the hard drive does not respond to the command either. I can't see anything on the screen but the pattern above.

I have no idea whats causing the issue, though I don't think it is software, because I haven't added anything new in about 6 months and this has only started in the past 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its a HP Pavilion a1101n

Thanks in advance

Often its a graphics issue.
Try reinstalling your drivers.
Its also possible that your psu may be failing and not supplying the correct voltage to the gfx card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back