Computer crashed can't bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafty1

About a 1 1/2weeks ago I re-formatted and re-installed Windows XP. After installing all software, the computer kept freezing and then it finally gave me the blue screen with something about kernel (I was not quick enough to read), I tried recovery, startup from last good config, CHKDSK but that crashes, nothing worked. I finally re-formatted and re-installed windows, same problem. I did this 2 more times and it finally worked (friday). I thought I had fixed the problem, but last night (wednesday) I was copying MPG's from a DVD to the hard drive and it crashed again and now I am back to where I started. I have tried different memory sticks, different graphic's card, disconnected DVD drives, disconnected floppy drive.

I have a:
ADM Athlon 64 3200+
1280mb RAM
Raedon 9600xt Graphic's card
PSU 450 watt (I think)
I hope that helps

Please help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE.

If that doesn`t help, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

It`s not a good idea to mix brands/sizes/speeds of ram. Sometimes it can work with no problem, but often it doesn`t.

Follow the instructions in the link I gave you for testing your ram.

Regards Howard :)

Cleaned the ram, but the computer dose'nt want to boot up. How do I test the ram if I can start windows?

You use the Memtes86+ programme from either a floppy or bootable cd. This runs independently of Windows.

Instructions for doing this are in the link I gave you.

I am new to all this, I can't copy to floppy on this computer but I can do CD, which Memtest86+ should I download?

** Memtest86+ V1.65 (10/01/2005) **

o Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
o Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

o Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
o Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

This is the one you need.

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Extract the file once and burn the resulting file to cd as an image. Your burning software will tell you how to burn an image.

Make sure your boot priority is set to cd/hdd, you can find your boot priority in your bios.

Once set, save and exit bios. With the Memtest cd in the drive, restart your computer. The Memtest programme should run automatically. Let the programme run for at least seven passes. The programme will run until you stop it.

If Memtest gives your errors, then it`s likely your ram is bad. I think it`s better to test each individual stick of ram first, before testing your ram sticks together. Obviously this entails taking out all but one of your ram sticks and testing the one that remains.

Then having tested that, take that stick of ram out and replace with another stick and test again and so on and so on.

If all your sticks of ram check out ok, try testing them all together.

I know this is time consuming, but it is necessary, if you`re to try and get to the bottom of your problem.

You should also follow the rest of the instructions in the link I gave you.

The computer is clean and I checked all the RAM with memtest, and all is good there. In BIOS the tempeture of the CPU is 45% and and CPU fan speed is about 3200 RPM, there is +12V coming from the PSU.
I can't do chkdsk or a mini dump, I am unable to get into dos. When I press enter for 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' it starts to load up, but then freezes. Is there any other way I can get into DOS?

First, for Memtest to run for a full seven passes will take quite a long time, typically a few hours. Therfore, I don`t think you have tested your ram for long enough.

The fact that you can`t even get into safe mode, means you have a serious problem of some description. This could be hardware or software related, but probably it`s the former.

Reconnect the floppy drive and set your boot priority thus. FDD/cd-rom/HDD

Save and exit bios.

Download the hard drive utility from your hard drive manufacturers website. Follow the instructions for putting the files onto a floppy disk.

Alternatively, take a look at this thread HERE. You need to test your hard drive to rule out the possibility of it being bad.

Let us know the results please.

Also, could you please give us details of your psu. Make/wattage/how many amps it delivers on the 12volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

You should also check your mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Disconnect anything not required to boot your computer. Just leave the cpu/mobo/graphics card/1 stick of ram/hard drive/psu.

remove the ram leaving one in at a time (process of elimination) and see if any of them still cause the same error, if so, you should hopefully still have warranty on it ^^.
if no problems were found, try them in couples, etc.
if the crash happens no matter what you do with the ram, then its something else. try the ram 1st, then we'll get to that bit ^^

I`m sorry to hear your computer is dead. This is either a failed psu or failed mobo.

Try a different psu and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back