Computer crashes and stop errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

systemcrasher

RCman, did you manage to solve your problem?
I have had my pc for a few years now, and it has been doing this crash intermittently ever since i bought it. I managed to live with it, but now, starting to lose work, i cant cope with it anymore!!
Since the beginning i have used xp home, xp pro, and win 98, with full disc formats, so i have ruled out any software problems.
I have replaced the powersupply unit, and this made no difference.
I also have now got a new video card, and sound card.
I have two hard discs and have run windows from both.
Therefore, i think i am left with the motherboard and cpu to try out.
If you have sorted yours, can you help me, or if not, hope this helps you!

How can i check the CPU temperature... i have a feeling this may be the culprit?

Cheers

Ok,
I've got my stop error here: 0x0000000A
(0x01a90ff4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e65de)

It's an 'irql not less or equal error', which they say is most probably a hardware error. How do i narrow this down to the driver /hardware problem?

go to:
run>services.msc> "specivic task"
now, i dont know which task it might be, but if you go on one, click on properties and then go to the card "recovery".
There you find "first failure" etc. If in this process a failure occurs and there is no message; and the specific task is set on "restart", you get the restart without warning.
if you get a warning message, go to cmd and stop the restart.
("shutdown.exe -a")

greets

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your post to it`s own thread. This will save any confusion.

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps you to identify the culprit.

If it doesn`t, please attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps to your next reply.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

That thread of yours is REALLY useful, thanks Howard. I have followed it up to the memtest86+ stage, and have found RAM errors on test #5.
I have two ram 256mb cards, and three slots, and have tried running it with different combinations. I have determined the following:
The cards work fine on their own, and each slot is functioning fine, however, only when i install two cards together do i get the error.

What should be my next step? I doubt if a minidump will help, as memtest has narrowed it this far. Should I just go and buy one 512mb card... i'd rather not!

Thanks

That sounds like a ram incompatibility issue.

Unless both ram sticks are exactly the same brand/speed etc, this can happen.

It may well be a good idea to get a 512mB stick of ram. Just make sure it`s compatible with your mobo.

Regards Howard :)

Wow, rapid reply - cheers. Just as you were typing i had another crash :(
Every time it crashes i seem to get a different error on the BSOD:

IRQL not less or equal
Bad pool caller
Memory management

I also notice that after a crash the restart screen says:
'Secondary IDE channel no conductor cable 80'.
I dont think it appears on a normal reboot, but i cant tell as the screen dissappears too quickly.

Anyway, i attached some of the minidumps just in case this can help.
I haven't flashed the BIOS ever - wonder if this may help?

I forgot to say, both RAM sticks are identical. There is no obvious branding on them, exept for a hand written labe saying 'spire 30/11/02'.

Faulty or incompatible ram can and will cause the exact symptoms you describe.

Untill you solve the ram problem, it`s just going to keep on happening. If memtest finds errors, there`s a ram problem.

As for the ide cable, change it and see if the problem of Secondary IDE channel no conductor cable 80 goes away. Make sure you get an 80 wire ide cable.

BTW: You can attach the minidumps directly, there`s no need to zip them up. ;)

Your minidumps are consistent with a ram problem. One is corrupt and unreadable, this is also a sign of ram.

Thanks Howard.
I have since changed the BIOS on these two sticks of RAM from SPD to 200mHz. The computer has since run successfully for a whole day without a crash! (It also free from errors in memtest).

Now, I have looked at the recommended frquencies, and for two sticks of DDR ram it seems the speeds per stick should be 166mhz. (200mhz for 1, and 133mhz for 3 sticks). However, in my BIOS these values are not available, instead, i am presented with 200, 266, and 333.

Am i correct in thinking these are frequencies for DRAM? Perhaps this shows the incompatibility of my RAM on the MOBO. Is it the motherboard which is presenting these freqency options, or the RAM?

I also tried setting it to 266mhz, but this gave errors in memtest as before. Therefore, i either keep the frequency set to 200mhz per stick, or i install the correct memory (if these are indeed incorrect as i assume). I have ordered a 512mb stick anyway.

So, two questions:
1) Is my computer not running to its full potential if i leave it set to 200mhz (i assume 266mhz is the intended speed for two sticks)?

2) Is it more efficient to have more than one stick of RAM installed?

Try setting your bios`s ram setting to auto. This will clock all ram to the speed of the slowest stick.

It`s not a good idea to use ram of different sizes/speeds etc.

See this guide HERE.

Can you give full details of what ram sticks you have? I.E, is it DDR266(pc2100) DDR300(pc2700) or DDR400(pc3200) ram?

There is no setting 'AUTO'. Instead, it was set to 'SPD' which i read somewhere is the equivalent of. I've tried looking throught he hardware profiles, but cant find the RAM, how does one find this information?

Superb 4E Mobo,
It supports DDR200/DDR266/DDR333 SDRAM

Try the Everest programme. It should give you info on what your ram is.

Run the programme and click the large computer icon, followed by the computer summary icon. Details of your ram will be next to "system Memory".

Under SPD i have:

Module name 32mx64r-26a
Memory type PC2100 (133mhz)
Module width 64 bit
Module voltage SSTL 2.5

This 133mhz does not align with the BIOS speed settings, so i guess that's the problem? Though the MOBO manual says it accepts 266DDR, (which is what you say pc2100 is).
Confused!

That might be it. DDR(double data rate) means 133mhz has an effective fsb of 266mhz. By setting the actual fsb to 266mhz, you are overclocking the ram.

A setting of 200mhz actually=DDR400(pc3200).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back