Computer Crashes While Playing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm new here and I this forum seemed like you guys can help me.. BTW I'm don't know a lot about computers, so if I left anything out, please tell/ask me!

My computer keeps crashing about 4-5 minutes as I'm into playing a game. I get crashes for Madden 08, NBA Live 07 and Civillization IV, and those are the only games I have played, so I doubt it's the games. I have Windows Vista, but I am almost certain that it's not the operating system's problem since one of the games was working perfectly fine a while back..

This is what I get sometimes:
IMGP1445.jpg

or I would get a blue screen and it would say something about crash dumping physical memory (no exact but some key words) and it would start to load..

System Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4600+
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Hard Drive 320GB SATA
2048MB DDR RAM
PSU 300w

Things I tried:

+ Reformatted the computer. I've done this twice and it still has the same problem

+ Put another fan beside my computer preventing it from overheating. (I had the exact same problem a while ago with my computer and it seemed to work, until I reformatted this computer, now it doesn't work anymore)

+ Installed up-to-date Direct X and video card. (Direct X 10 and Driver from NVIDIA.com)

+ Installed Windows Vista Updates

Yeah.. any help?

You might need another higher wattage power supply, or try another video card... Vista is very picky when it comes to hardware

You also might want to test your memory with Memtest. I have seen ram that was going bad cause crashes after several minutes of game playing.

Oh no :( :(

This is the exact same problem I had... Could you try a few things, just to check?

1) Can you go to your Event Viewer, and find the crash listed in there? I don't know how it works in Vista, but in XP, its Start-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Event Viewer. And then in Event Viewer, go to "Application". Then you are looking for a little red circle with a white cross in it (assuming it looks the same as it does in XP). When the game crashes, it should leave an entry there. And if you can cut and paste all the information in that for us, it will help.

2) Can you download a couple of game demos to test? If possible, get "Colin Mcrae: Dirt", and "Bioshock" demos. I say those because with my problem, the Colin Mcrae game did not crash. But the Bioshock demo crashed every single time, usually within the first 1 minute. So if the same happens with you, I would be confident to suggest what I did to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back