Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First here is my basic setup:
    Asus A7v333 Motherboard
    Athlon XP 2100+
    GeForce 4 TI 4200
    1.5 gigs of Crucial xms PC2700 (3x512)
    Windows XP Pro

This has been something that has been off and on but lately has gotten much worse. Basically, when I try to load a game, I lose video. Monitor light turns orange. Once that happens, my computer won't boot. It turns on but there is no video. If I let it sit, usually overnight, it will boot again, but crash the same way when windows loads. I have to reboot it, enter safe mode and remove the NVIDIA drivers. Then I can boot as much as I want. Once I reinstall the drivers, it gets crazy again. I have tried different versions of Forceware but am currently trying the latest. I should also mention that once the computer finally boots after sitting for a while, it will dump me into the bios with a warning about the frequency settings and multiplier of my cpu. I am not overclocking and have never tried to. I just have them set to auto detect and the speed is correct, 1.7 ghz. I tried a fresh format over the weekend and it ran solid and stable until I tried to run games.

I have tried a different TI4200 and the same thing happens. It was working fine until about 3 weeks ago. Now it is horrible. I didn't add anything new to the system and didn't install any new or different software. I have no idea what is going on. All I can think is maybe the motherboard is just shot. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot!
    Try the Asus website for a BIOS update.Read the version's notes to see if anything relates to your hardware/software.It's always best to flash only if there is a direct issue.
  3. tbutcher80

tbutcher80 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I checked the asus website. The latest bios revision is november of 04 and it doesn't seem to address any of my issues. I might have even flashed it last year. I have to check. I was going to flash it anyway but there might not be a point. Thanks for the welcome. I am pulling my hair out with this!
  4. Liquidlen

I think the obvious is the Vid card ,can you try another brand ?
    I also think a Ram test maybe in order.
  5. tbutcher80

tbutcher80 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, it was doing this a while ago so I used a new geforce 4 ti4200. Still does it so I don't really think its that. I ran prime95 for a day to see if it might be the cpu or heat, but it ran like a champ. I haven't run memtest so I will try and do that tonight.

I used to have 512 megs of ram but I recently upgraded to 1.5 gigs. 2 more 512 sticks. It was running fine for a few weeks with the new ram, so maybe it has something to do with that.
  6. Liquidlen

I see you tried a new card but same brand ,just curious to see if another Brand made a difference since you said it ran fine with satandard windows drivers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.