Computer crashing intermittently

By BigRussian
Jul 15, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I have a 5 year old Dell i3 desktop running Windows 7. It started crashing intermittently from March this year. Recently it has begun crashing on a daily basis.

When I look at the Reliability Monitor in the Action Center it shows critical events "Windows stopped working and shut down unexpectedly". Also other critical events include other software stopped working (Outlook, Norton AV, Windows Audio).

Each time the computer crashes it restarts and then works fine for a while.

I have attached a zip file of the minidump dmp files from when I first noticed the computer crashing.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

Haven't looked at the dump, but easy first steps would be
    1. update the audio driver
    2. uninstall Norton (get something else, later)
    You could also get good insight by viewing the system logs with Eventvwr.msc and scroll through the system log
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

This Dell could use a fresh Windows install without Norton. Once a computer starts having issues with Norton installed, nothing else can be done. The minidumps show a real mess...
  4. BigRussian

BigRussian TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for taking a look at the minidumps, I'm going to do a fresh Windows install this weekend. Is there anything in the minidumps that could indicate a hardware issue?
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

6. BigRussian

BigRussian TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your help, I re-installed the operating system and that seems to have fixed the issue. It has not crashed since.
    Tmagic650 likes this.