Computer cuts off during some games

By Seyeco
Aug 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have been able to play WoW at max settings (shadows, multi-sampling, particles, etc..), MW2 at max, spore at max, minecraft at max, and starcraft II at ...high... with 50-60 fps (monitor's highest setting) and no issues, but today I tried to play Age of Empires Online, and after an hour, my computer cut off and restarted. I changed some settings in the game and tried again and after 10 minutes, it reset once more. The third time, I set my cpu fan to manual-maximum ( thinking the intel safety functions were cutting it off at a certain heat ), and it cut off after 10 minutes again. The time intervals are a rough estimate, of course.

this problem only occurs on windows 7 (i haven't used anything else for long enough time to recreate the outcome). CPU temp doesn't exceed 55C on anything i've done (heavy gaming). Case is open currently and has 2 fans and several ventilation openings all over it. Graphics card is hot to the touch, but I cant think of any way to cool it better....

My specs are :
    Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 rev 2.0 bios-F11
    Intel Core i5-655k 3.2gh (not overclocked currently)
    ( 2 physical cores, 4 virtual,
    core 1 temp : roughly 26C
    core 2 temp : roughly 32C
    at idle )
    Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler
    Diablotek PSDA600 DA Series 600W Power Supply
    8gb (2x4gb at 1333)
    Radeon HD 6950 2gb (flashed to 6970)

OS: Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux 10.10, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.6
    win7/unbuntu on HDD 1, OSX on HDD2.

One Final Thought: I've heard Wow and minecraft (the two games I use most) are CPU-dependent, and not so much GPU dependant. Could it be that Age of Empires Online is Graphic card-optimized, putting more stress on the GC and it's overheating causing the mobo to cut off?
  2. Seyeco

Seyeco Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

UPDATE:

problem still persists, but I have replicated the results twice while watching temperatures. card temperature never exceeds 68C; cpu core 1 stays around 30C and core 2 stays around 40C. I dont think it's an overheating issue.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.