Computer dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo5961

Over the last few days i have had various problems with file corruption, files going missing. Formatted and reinstalled all software, shutdown to reconnect my usb keyboard and mouse and on reboot pc would not boot due to HDD being too corrupted. Reformatted to reinstall pc froze halfway through install reformatted again, pc again froze this time near the end of windows install. switched pc off when i restarted the pc there was a series of loud, rapid clicks from the pc i quickly turned off the power. When i switched back on there was no life at all in the damn thing. Changed the power supply the only sign of life was the cpu fan spinning other than that all signs of life are extinct even the LED on the mobo. Has anybody any idea what the clicking noises were and would the previous problems have been a symptom of a hardware failure. Is it possible that the damage is limited to PSU and mobo or is this likely to be a a total burn out.

System
2400 sempron
abit va10 mobo
256 ddr ram
ati radeon 9200 graphics

Looks like you are right about the HDD just tried it in another PC. Did exactly the same partly installed the os then either froze or went to the BSOD. Testing other components where possible but looks like the HDD has caused a major burn up any advice would be welcome

What do you mean by burn up? Has more than your hd gone bad? Like your hd, mobo, and video card, etc all burnt up, or are you saying that since the hd doesn't work the whole system doesn't work? I'd just get a new hd and try that.

When you get a new drive, if it still doesn't work. Disconnect all the non-essential parts, plugs, PCI cards etc... You might want to reset the BIOS too. Try to boot up with just your mobo, CPU, RAM, video, and HDD. See what happens.

Like i said I put the hard drive into another PC and tried to install windows onto it and it froze and failed to install files like it did on the original. I put a spare PSU which i know is ok into the original PC and reset the CMOS jumpers to default still the only sign of life is the CPU fan spinning, there is no sign that it will even try to POST. There is no sign of burning or excessive heat in the original PC it is just that it seems totally dead so i feel i am definately into a new MOBO,PSU and HDD i am just not sure how far the damage has gone. i am wondering if it possible that the PSU went open circuit and over powered the whole system. All help and suggestions much appreciated

This is a classic case of part swapping. Without having known good parts for all that, it would be hard to tell which ones are bad. That is, you need a known-good motherboard that will support your CPU and RAM to test that. And so on.

You may have to take that into a shop. It may be worth it, just so you don't buy parts if you don't need them.

Hi again, I had quite a few known good parts but in the end i had to bite the bullet and spend the cash HDD, Mobo, Psu were definately dead and cpu suspect, it looked as if it had got hot and i did not want to have to make 2 trips to buy the parts. On rebuilding RAM, graphics card, modem and the other drives were ok. Everything now fine but i still can't understand how what originally appeared to start as a HDD fault caused this damage. Once again thanks to everybody who tried to cast light into the darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back