Computer died

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys
a couple weeks ago, my computer completely died.
i thought that my power supply was fried, so i bought a new one, put it in and it still didnt boot.

when it was still running before it died, i had some problems as well. whenever i turned on my pc, after 1-2 seconds it automatically turned off. if i wanted to get it running i would have to unplug the power cord, plug it back in then it would boot normally.

i have tried cleaning out my system (removing the dust) as well, but didnt seem to work. everything was plugged in as well. could it be something is burnt?

any help?

forgot to add comp specs
AMD 3000+
Asus a7n7x-x m/b
128mb radeon 9200
80gb wd hdd
400w psu
512mb pc3200 ram

thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Since you`ve already tried a different psu with no luck, I`d say it`s probably your mobo that`s died.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

With respect, I wouldnt be so quick to say that the mobo is gone.
First off, it sounds to me like you should remove your fan\heatsink and cpu and clean them all off, add thermal paste and re-set your cpu and clean and re install your fan, heatsink.

Also, give us some info on your old power supply and your new one.

Well, in my experience, if after trying a new psu the computer is still completely dead, it`s usually the mobo that`s died. I did only say probably. :p

However, doing as you suggested certainly won`t hurt.

Regards Howard :)

re-seat your mobo. sounds like the grounding screws were coming loose. usually the cause of the computer shutting off so quickly after turning it on.

um, my old psu was a generic 400W, and the latest one i bought was a 430W Antec truepower

i also took out hsf and cleaned it completely,but since im still a newbie i didnt take my cpu out, nor do i know how to reset my cpu :(

I think Nork meant reseat your cpu. If so he just means, take it out and put it back in. How long do you have before shutdown, and do you get any strange POST beeps, sirens, hoots or pips?
(when things are OK you generally get a single beep just before you see any output from the monitor)
If you've got enough time, you'd do well to go into the CMOS setup and check the processor temp. If it stays well within tolerance until you get a shutdown it's not likely to be a problem with the way you set up your heatsink+fan.
Have you got an onboard sound and video card? Try removing all your non-essential devices, reintroducing them one by one if it runs ok.
Just to be sure, if you're using some kind of extention lead like a 'four-gang' multiplug extention it'd be a good idea to try plugging in somewhere else. It's a real pain to go through a load of diagnosis to find it was just something like a loose/unreliable plug.
I hope this helps.

It doesn't turn on at all!
The link light is showing because you've got power to your board. Hmn. If I were you I'd try swapping the kettle lead with the one from your monitor. It could be you've got an unreliable connection somewhere at the plug. It's not likely to give you consistant power to the board if this is the case, so I doubt it's your problem, but it's best to eliminate all possibilities.

Yes, i meant re-seat not reset. Its very important in the diagnostic steps that you do this as it really sounds to me like it could be a possibility, based on your initial post. Perhaps you could find a friend who can do this for you.
Its actually very easy. You unhook the fan from the mobo and unscrew the fan from the heatsink. Then gently twist left and right to get the heatsink off. Then you are left with the cpu. There is a lever there, just lift the lever so its straight up in the air and then take 2 fingers to lift up the cpu. It will have either thermal paste or a thermal pad. If paste take a clean cloth and wipe it off, if a thermal pad then use a credit card and isopropyl alcohol to scrape it off. Once surface is clean then spread just enough thermal paste to lightly cover the raised surface of the cpu. You can tell, simply take the heatsink and cpu in your hand and have them touch each other. You see what surface of the cpu touches the heatsink, thats the surface that must be covered, a small surface usually. Then use a small brush to clean heatsink and fan and re-install them. Make sure you put the fan wires on the 2 pins on the mobo where you took them off. Its called a fan header.

As Lekki_Sheep asked, do you get any beeps at all? Also he suggested removing all non-essential hardware from your machine and that is indeed a part of diagnostics so i would suggest you do that. He also points out what i am saying, that it sounds like a cpu\heatsink\fan issue so far.

Also, I suggest you re-set (this time i have it right, lol) your bios. Your pc isnt running but you can still re-set the bios. Even if you know how you should check your manual on how to do that as it varies. Usually you remove main power cord, remove small coin battery from mobo and then, on the 3 pin header setup on your mobo, nearest the coin battery, move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3, leave it a few minutes, then put jumper back where it was, put battery back in, put power cord back in wall and try to boot.

Another little trick is to remove power cord from wall and hold your power\on button in for a few minutes then put power cord back in wall and see if you can boot.
Also, remove the 2 pin wire connector from the mobo that connects to the power\on button in front of your pc. Then use a flat screwdriver and touch the 2 pins on the mobo where you just removed the 2 pin wire. This is important as sometimes you can simply have a bad power\on button. They only cost about a penny and can easily go bad on you.

Lekki_Sheep, i posted same time as you, lol.
I agree, that green light on the lan means he has power from the power supply to the mobo. And since he has a new power supply, all should be well in the power delivery department. Should be, no guarantee though, just because a light is on, but its a good sign.

If i havent mentioned it yet, unhook power from the power supply to mobo, the white plastic connector and re-seat it. You should hear a slight click when you do so as there is a little hook that clicks when it is seated right.
Your finger has to be pushing in on that little hook when unhooking the connector. Sorry, have to cover all bases, sometimes its the little things that can get you.

Lekki_Sheep, Im not familiar with the term "kettle lead". I am guessing you mean the power cord? I am also guessing hellraiser may not as well.

benken2202001 does make a good point on the grounding screws and the mobo. I was waiting til hellraiser tried re-seating the cpu and doing the other diagnostics before resorting to removing the mobo, that would be the last thing to do, in my opinion, but a very valid point, hope we dont have to go that far as it seems hellraiser is fairly new at this stuff. Still, we can quide him to do this job if needed.

Appologies nork. I did indeed mean power lead. You see it's the same lead that most kettles use here in the UK and I thought it was in common usage. I did wonder wether it was, so I decided to use it anyhow to find out. I think we can credit hellraiser with enough nonse to realise I wasn't suggesting unplugging his Kettle, lol.

I'd lean toward the mobo being dead or the PSU being dead. Since you've tested the PSU that leaves the obvious. In theory it could be the proc as well.

hellraiser, just so you know. In order to get to the bottom of this, you have to do all the things mentioned, like re-seating the cpu being first on the list in my opinion. That would be after the power supply but i believe you have a new ps.
Then any other items that are mentioned, those that you can do.
In the end, if issue not resolved, you will have to take the mobo out of the case. But maybe that wont have to happen.
Im not convinced until everything possible has been checked. I have seen a pc stop working because a screw holding the mobo to the case got loosened. So it could even be a small thing like that or you cpu having to be re-seated, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back