Computer died

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer won't turn on when I changed the power supply.. if that's what you called it.. the thing with the fan? and 115 watt and 230 or seomthing.So anyway my old 1 was making all kinds of crazy sound so i brought a new 1 and replaced it. After I replaced the new power supply, i try to turn on my computer and it wouldn't turn on, and i didn't know if i try to turn on the system with 230 Watt cause i think im suppose to put it on 115 and i dind't know it setted to 230, so yeah i try to switch it back to 115 and it still won't work. I wanna know if i can get some help? Like if my cpu fried? Sorry im not really good at this so it is stupid of me to make a dumb mistake >< and this is my first time here in this website. Thanks

Welcome mate.
If you plugged in a 230v psu and turned it on when it should only be using a 115v, then yeah i'd say you've fried the lot!
Yes you made a dumb mistake....:rolleyes: been there, done that! :p
You aint the only one buddy, lol.

It is possible that the fuse inside the PSU has blown. Fixing this might be cheaper than a new PSU but DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF! There are capacitors in there than can kill you. Take it to an electician and have them check the fuse for you.

I seriously wouldn't bother tbh. It could cost as much to have a sparky look at it as to buy a new one. Plus ALL his components could be fried chicken after that surge anyway.
I blew up a HP pc when i accidentally had it set at 115v istead of 230v. Although i would have thought that it just wouldn't have supplied enough voltage and nothing would work. But when you supply double what it expects (230v instead of 115v), surely thats when it goes BANG BANG FIZZLE!?
Krazygangsta, how much did you pay for your psu and what is its rating in wattage?

oh man i really did it this time lol... had my computer for like 5-6 years... and it still works well until yesterday =/ and the only problem is the powersupply screw up a few days ago. anyway the watt is 650 and i got it for 140$ +, LifeTime Warranty... is that good? oh yah, my computer is a gateway. Thanks for the replies guys reallly appreciated. Also one more question, If im going to buy a computer now... what should i get? like let's say about 600$ - 1000$

Is $140 a lot? Not sure of the exchange rate? If its over £60 then its likely to be fairly good, so Alberts suggestion of have an electrician look at it may be beneficial after all.
$600-$1000 is a wide range matey. You need to list what bits you want in your pc and what you want to with it.

Thank you for the kind words - the reason for doing it this way is that a fuse costs pennies and most electrical shops will not charge a fortune for a little job like this - and if the fuse has gone there is a good chance that there is no cascade or domino damage through a power surge. I do not, repeat, NOT advise poking about in there yourself unless you are a qualified electrical engineer!

So if that's really the problem then i don't need a new computer right? If that's it then im happy atleast lol but if i really did fried up everything in the computer... then i will need a new computer. I just need to know what brand or processor is good. I need a average computer just for normal gaming like Mmorpg stuff. I heard that emachine is bad... but i didn't quite read anything in forum that said Dell, Gateway or HP is bad. So I just need a little tips. once again Thanks for the help.

EDIT : oh i forgot to tell you guys that I tried to put my old PSU back, altho it was making noises but it still works, but when i try to put it abck on, the computer sitll won't work. and right now i think you guys are talking about a fuse INSIDE the new psu i got? so i think i fried my computer -____-

It's possible you did not ruin your PSU (power supply). I've plugged a 115V TV into 230V outlet and the only thing that happened was the fuse burnt. Maybe you'll get lucky, so give it a try.

*EDIT* Oh crap your new PSU is dead and your old computer is KAPUT. I just read your EDIT. If you just want to surf the web (which is what I imagine you did with your old Gateway) then pretty much anything will do. If you want to play games then you're going to need a good graphics card, processor and two GB of memory. A good gaming computer will also allow you to do pretty much anything else you'd want to do with good speed.

PROCESSOR

MOTHERBOARD

MEMORY

VIDEO CARD

HARD DRIVE

OPERATING SYSTEM

omg i keep forgeting to add details of what happen, when i try to turn on my computer, it didn't turn on but there's a GReen light turned on in the motherboard it was right under/below the mainpower pin. like where that place is. so what's that mean?

On a working computer the green light means that your motherboard is working and has detected no problems.

Sorry - beg to differ on the green light: all it means is that there is a power feed to the board.
Different boards = different feeds but chances are that it is 3 or 5 volt. This does mean that the PSU is delivering power - is this the new one?
If this is the case, unplug everything's power lead except the motherboards lead(s) and try to reboot. Listen for the beeps - one beep is good.
Tell us what you find?

when you said unplug everything do you mean the white and black plugs? xD im not really famliar to those computer stuff so im sry if i don't quite sure. and also the green light lighted up when i placed my New psu in my computer. but yeah that's it. also i havea radeon graphic card, i believe it was radeonX1950 Pro, don't know if it is good but i got it from a friend. ok ima go try the unplug method =D

EDIT : No i heard no beep, only see the light is on.

The power supply has a bunch of leads for the motherboard and drives. Disconnect everything from all the drives. Leave only the lead(s) to the motherboard and the graphics card if it has one.
Reboot. One beep is good, no beeps at all is bad. many beeps means that something like RAM or graphics are missing or failed.
What do you get?

nope there's no beep, so could it be that the motherboard got the power but don't know how to transfer the power to other parts? cause if that's the case i think my motherboard fried too

AlbertLionheart is correct, I have overstated the usefullness of the green LED. I have five Dells out of eighteen in the lab right now that have green lights on the board but none of them will boot because their PSUs are fried.

In your case I'm fairly sure your computer fried when you changed the input volatge to 230 and booted your computer. The new PSU fried and then took your motherboard with it. When you plugged your old PSU back in and the computer refused to boot, that's when I figured that the new PSU was connected long enough to selfdestruct and at the same time when the motherboard didn't POST I figured that the new PSU was powered long enough to destroy it.

Well krazygansta it sounds like you might need to get annother comp. :(
I would check out Dell computers. They just this year changed there motherboards so that they have the PCI Express x16 slots in em. Which if you want to game it means you can get a good grahics card for it. They have quite a bit of options that you can choose from so you can get exactly what you want. If you are feeling a little ambitous (maybe not so much after what you accidently did ;) ) you could try building you own comp, trust me its way better to build your own, espicially if you are going to spend $600 to $1000. You could build a pretty good comp for that.

Seems as though the board has died. You could take the whole thing down to a local PC shop and see what they can do with it, perhaps. They will certainly have a PSU tester - I have one and it has saved hours of messing about. Cost about $20
Anything is better than Dell in my book - used to be good but the quality of the build has gone and with it the customer support.

AlbertLionheart said:
Seems as though the board has died. You could take the whole thing down to a local PC shop and see what they can do with it, perhaps. They will certainly have a PSU tester - I have one and it has saved hours of messing about. Cost about $20
Anything is better than Dell in my book - used to be good but the quality of the build has gone and with it the customer support.

I totally agree, Dell is not all that good. But if krazygansta dosn't want to build his own comp then I would look at the dells. I deffintally recomend building you own though if you feel up to it. I built my first one a couple of months ago and I will never ever buy another pre made piece of crap.

It really is not that hard to build one. I just built my first one a couple months ago and I did not have any problems figuring everything out.
I would suggest to look on newegg.com for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back