Computer doesn't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrotcake

My computer won't POST. I plug my RAM, CPU, PSU and let my Mobo lie on static paper, connect my keyboard and monitor, and my computer will still not post. All my parts are brand new.

Specs

Mobo : Asus P5GL-MX
CPU: P4 S775, 2MB cache, 800FSB
RAM: 2x 512MB PC3200, 400mhz
PSU: standard 20pin + 4pin 420W PSU

I'm leaning towards a problem with the motherboard, but i have a hard time believing that it won't work, straight out of the box. I ruled out the possibility that the connection are properly made because its kinda hard to miss where the power supply goes.

Can there be a problem with the thermal greese? wouldn't that cause the computer to shut down?

anyway, ill appreciate all the help

I have seen this thread somewhere on this site before, but the problem was never solved

Can you give more details about what happens when you power up?

Do you have any lights on your motherboard?
When you hit the power button, do fans spin?
Any beeps?
Absolutely NOTHING?

When I press the power button, the fans all run, i heard a little bit of activity in harddrive for a maybe 2 seconds, the light is on, green, and nothing is displayed on the monitor, and is on standby. The monitor is a simple 15pin 1024x768 monitor. the keyboard does not light up and there are no beeps.

thanks in advance

Do you have another computer nearby? I would start with checking the ram modules first as it is much cheaper than the motherboard. If you have some other ram you can pop in there to see if you can get it to post that would be a good test.

A few weeks ago the EXACT same thing happened to me as you describe but my solution was simple. The ram came loose after I moved my computer. After re-seating the ram I was good to go.

I must have dismantled the computer and reassembled it at least 3 or 4 times, I'm pretty sure everything is where it should be. I unfortunately only have a laptop besides the computer i am putting together.

I was thinking that the problem might be with the PSU, but even when i disconnected the HD and the CD-rom, nothing was appearing on my monitor

if there is no thermal greese between the heatsink and the CPU (or very little of it), will that cause the computer to do that? I thought that if the processor heats up, it will shut down completely, but my problem doesnt shut down, it keeps running, and nothing is hot afterwards, suggesting the heatsink and the fan is working.

I read somewhere that the problem might be a defective mobo, but i find that hard to believe since its brand new right out of the box.

any ideas?
thanks

maybee a jumper isnt set it being fresh out of the box? check your paper work for jumper settings other than that I belive its a memory problem.

it wasnt the jumper settings, i looked them all up in the book and they were all in the right place. I even reset the CMOS and still the same problem.

It doesn't sound like an overheating problem to me. You are not even getting into BIOS, and it isn't shutting off, it is just..... doing nothing, right?

Again, I'd test that ram of yours as soon as you can. Can you get some ram from a friend or from work to pop in your computer as a test?

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a PSU problem either.... then again PSU problems are hard to diagnose. A 420W is plenty. What make is it?

If the ram is fine, then I'd guess motherboard is next. If it is your CPU you should get some beeping from your motherboard.

i went to a technician with it, damn it....

it was a deffective PSU, and a 20-pin wasn't sufficient, I needed a 24pin

thanks everyone for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back