Computer doesn't power on, then powers on and monitors reamin in standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba_phett

Hi all!

Recently after installing a new radiator in my computer, I attempted to turn it on, but was unsuccessful. I switched off my PSU (Hiper 730W Type-R) and then switched it back on, but was once again unsuccessful. I then checked all my power connections on my MB(P5N32-E SLI PLUS), GPU(Palit 8800GT "Super+ 1GB"), and PSU and tried again. This time my computer booted successfully only to shut off again a few minutes later. Once again my computer would not power on so I again checked all connections and powered it up once more and it booted up again. About five minutes later it shut-off and then wouldn't turn on for anything. I first suspected a leak might've sprung and damged my PSU. I am using a non-conductive fluid so the only thing that should be affected in my nearly dust free computer is the PSU right? Anyways, I checked for leaks and saw/felt none. I then dug around in my closet until I found a PSU (Hipro 350W) to try. I plugged that one in, pressed the switched and my computer came on, but this time my monitors remained in power-save mode. I then reseated my RAM (4x Corsair XMS2 2GB) and GPU and tried again, but was unsuccessful. I then took out my XMS2 RAM and put in one stick of Corrsair 1 GB value select RAM. This was also unhelpful. One thing I have noticed is that when I press the power button my case lights and fans all come on. Also, my HD begins spinning and the water-block on my CPU (Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz) begins to warm-up. I am worried because the heatsink on my GPU isn't warming up like usually. I do not recieve any BIOS beeps whatsoever. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, I am just trying to be thourough. If anyone needs additional information please contact me. I will be very thankful for any suggestions you may have so feel free to contribute.

Thanks,
Boba_Phett

Suggest you go back to basics, and test then add one component at a time.
It appears you have the knowledge to think this through and get it up to speed. You probably have two or three problems which will not make it easy to trouble shoot.
Make sure you are rested, then make a lot of notes.

Where would you suggest I begin troubleshooting? I am pretty sure that my original PSU is dead due to the fact that I can't even get the system to power on with it attached. Where would the next logical place be for me to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I would guess that your original PSU has indeed croaked and with a liquid cooling system installed your 350w might not have the capacity to provide power to your VPU (assuming you require a 12v rail directly to the VPU).

If you want to confirm the VPU is in working condition, strip your system down to the bare essentials (motherboard, one module of RAM, CPU, and PSU) along with the VPU and try to boot or see if a buddy will let you put it in their PC for a minute.

If I were you, I'd just borrow a PSU from a friend and if that weren't an option I'd RMA the old PSU or buy a new one.

I am trying to think of a friend who has a PCI-E GPU.. Most of my friends are running on old equipment so I don't know if I can put my GPU into one of their computers. I was getting ready to buy a different PSU anyways so I got on Newegg and ordered one, it should be here on Monday if it ships out today. Later today I am going to strip my system down as you suggested and I will post my findings.

Thank you!

Alright, this afternoon I stripped everything down so only my MB, GPU, and CPU were hooked up the PSU. I also disconnected my optical drives and unnecessary PCI cards from the MB. Oh, and I unhooked my liquid cooling system as well. When I turned the computer on my monitors remained in standby. If I had a faulty GPU wouldn't I get some sort of BIOS beep code? I had a bad card once before and it set of the BIOS beeps. How probable is it that what I am experiencing is a simple lack of power from my PSU? The one I am using now isn't a main stream unit and it is only 350W. There are no PCI-E power connectors on it and I am having to use an adapter that converts two Molex power streams into one six-pin PCI-E stream. Also, my MB has a place for two four-pin 12V connections, while the power supply has only one 12V connector.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions so far!

Alright, this afternoon I stripped everything down so only my MB, GPU, and CPU were hooked up the PSU. I also disconnected my optical drives and unnecessary PCI cards from the MB. Oh, and I unhooked my liquid cooling system as well. When I turned the computer on my monitors remained in standby. If I had a faulty GPU wouldn't I get some sort of BIOS beep code? I had a bad card once before and it set of the BIOS beeps. How probable is it that what I am experiencing is a simple lack of power from my PSU? The one I am using now isn't a main stream unit and it is only 350W. There are no PCI-E power connectors on it and I am having to use an adapter that converts two Molex power streams into one six-pin PCI-E stream. Also, my MB has a place for two four-pin 12V connections, while the power supply has only one 12V connector.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions so far!

I hope you had the RAM in as well?

If the motherboard requires an 8-pin 12v line that very well may be the issue with the 350w PSU. Try either buying an adapter or preferably get your hands on a PSU that meets your motherboards demands.

Zenosincks said:
I hope you had the RAM in as well?

If the motherboard requires an 8-pin 12v line that very well may be the issue with the 350w PSU. Try either buying an adapter or preferably get your hands on a PSU that meets your motherboards demands.

I had in one stick of RAM in the MB. I am supposed to have a PSU on the way. Hopefully that is the only problem!

Thank you!

The new PSU got here today so I hooked it up and still no signal to the monitors... :( I guess the next step should be to RMA my GPU?

Thanks everyone

You could try the VPU in another machine to be sure it's actually broken before sending it back. This way you don't get it back and have the same issues ;).

Waiting two weeks for a return to get back to you when you're "certain" you know what it is, then installing the new device and finding out you still have the same issue is a really crappy feeling. :(

Right now I am searching for someone who has a PC that has a PCI-E GPU. In the meantime: hypothetically, if the GPU is not the problem, where do you think the next place to check should be?

If the VPU is getting power, and the VPU works in another machine just fine, the only other thing that I can think of would be that the PCI-E slot itself or the motherboard is malfunctioning.

The only symptom that you are having from the system is that when you turn it on, you get no display correct? There are no other problems that you can tell apart from that?

The last two things that I can think of to try, is reset your BIOS, and try getting your hands on a plain old PCI VPU and see if it boots up just fine with that.

Today I put my GPU in my boss' PC and found that it did indeed function correctly. I tried doing something then that I should have done from the beginning; change the slot my GPU was plugged into on the MB... Unfortunately changing slots had no effect. I did notice though that even though the GPU does not appear to be receiving power when hooked to my MB, it still gives me a warning signal when the 6 pin PCI-E power is not connected and I power the system on. This does mean that the GPU is indeed receiving at least some power from the MB, correct? What would you suggest as my next course of action now that a problem with the GPU has been eliminated from the possibilities? Is it possible that when my PSU went out it damaged the MB? Oh and to answer your question about other problems, right now the CPU is receiving power because it is generating heat like usual, the HD is spinning up and warming up, I have six sticks of RAM and as far as I know, none are damaged. Right now I only have one of them in, I've tried others to be sure they weren't the problem.

Thank you for your help and dedication! :)

To be honest I can't think of anything else to try.

It would seem very odd to me that if your motherboard were damaged during the power fiasco, that the damage is isolated to only your PCI-E slots.

The best I can suggest on the spot is to assemble your system the way you want it, with the PCI-E VPU and all, then clear your CMOS and try to boot again.

If that proves to be useless, get your hands on a PCI VPU and see if you get display with that. If you do get display, see if there are any errors or anything that we can go off of.

:) You're more than welcome, I just wish this would get sorted for you already.

A friend of mine has an ASUS P5N-D MB that he is not currently using. Monday I am going to pick it up from his house just to eliminate the possiblility of MB failure. I tried your latest suggestion, but to no avail.:( Must not lose hope though, at least by the time I am done buying replacement parts I will almost have a complete system :haha:

Once again, thank you very much for your help. I will post my results with the P5N-D as soon as I test it Monday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back