Computer Doesn't shut down (Vista 64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

My computer hangs at this point forever during shutdown sequence:

parallellsvistashutdownxd1.jpg

It started happening around two days ago anyone know whats causes it? I can only switch it off via the power switch or unplugging the cable and I fear starting it back up only to see that I've corrupted my OS and have to reformat! Haven't tried a system restore yet, suggestions other than that?

Does the hard drive light flash while its on that screen? Maybe its still doing something? How long have you left it? And does the blue circle keep moving or does it stop?

Blue circle keeps moving, and I can't check the LED because that part fell of my case a long time ago (I bought a cheap case and never considered changing it!)

I can still hear HDD activity while shutting down now you mention it. So maybe theres a program stopping things from happening, but usually it'll prompt before that screen...

Shut down all programs even those in the taskbar tray and if that doesn't seem to improve things, you may want to close all those programs and even close things out in the task manager until you figure out what makes a difference.

I've looked at task manager and there isn't any unfriendly things running, but I'll try that anyway thanks

Go back two days, did you add any new appz/hardware to the system?
If you did, a restore point should have been created by windows just before the install. You can try to find that point and restore to that time or a time just previous to it and see if that helps out. System restore shouldn't really cause you too much problems unless you've been making major changes to your system. Of which those changes are probably the culprit.

Yeah I've just tried a restart with minimal programs running and it didn't help so fingers crossed a system restore will make things better I'll report how it goes

System restored to 27th OCT and its restarting again, wooOohoooO!

I'm still curious what was stopping it from shutting down though, only system restore checkpoints created where one for installing Cryengine 2 editor, and another for "configuring" PES2008 game (installing the update) and I'm sure if they created problems everyone would be reporting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back