Computer doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shut down my computer normally as usual but the very next day when i switched it on, it shows nothing on the screen. There's no beep sound no nothing, but when i open it up, both the processor and chasis fans are working. The LED that flashes when the PC is busy, is permanently on. So I guess it could be the processor or motherboard that is spoilt. How do I check which is the faulty one?

there could be lots of reasons. is it a standard/custom pc or a mass-manufacturered dell or something (oem)? unless your pc is the latter, i reccomend resetting the bios via a cmos jumper, refer to your motherboard manual.

It is a custom PC...does resetting the bios work? coz i cant even see the computer booting at all...not even a cursor blinking on the screen.
Could this be the work of a virus?

Try and remove the RAM and turn on the PC, if it beeps then the mainboard is fine it is probably a conflict. If it does not beep your mainboard is dead.

I tried the above suggestions...nothing seems to work.
i tried resetting the bios, same thing happens.
After removing the RAM, I cant even turn on my PC.
So whats the problem? Spoilt mainboard?

Looks like you have all the symptoms of a spoilt mobo. Dont know if the others agree with me!?

running a motherboard without ram or a cpu installed is at best a waste of time.
Could this be the work of a virus?
viruses cannot effect the working order of hardware, or make a computer unable to post.
It is a custom PC...does resetting the bios work?
you won't know unless you try it...

it's good to see you have a custom rig, as you have more than enough options as far as repairs and parts go.

The busy light being constant-on could be a continual reset state. Hard to tell without a POST Probe. Make sure your power button isn't just stuck in or broke in some way! And reset button too for that matter.

If it isn't just a stuck button then it could be a short on the bus. Try pulling out any cards you have in there, PCI/ISA, whatever. But not video if needed. Be sure to pull out cards/wires/jumpers/RAM etc... when the power is completely OFF. If the power button doesn't to it, pull the plug. Make sure that button is good! Then pull the cards and try again.

If pulling cards doesn't work, unplug any other cables to the board and try it with bare essentials: mobo/PS/CPU/RAM/Video and nothing else. With the BIOS having been freshly reset. If it still doesn't work it is one of those that is the problem. Likely mobo or CPU because you don't get a beep code. But even though the fans are spinning it could also be the power supply, bad 3v or some such. Have a local shop test the PS, they should be able to do it quickly and for free with a tester if they have one.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back