Computer Driver Change Destroys Install!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, upon listening to advice given by a few individuals on this and other forums, I change the computer driver to Standard PC in hopes that it would help with my shared IRQ problem which seems to slow some of my devices down. At the moment, my main computer will not boot. Are there any good options at this point? I have tried recovery, reinstalling, etc. I have a lot of of partitions that separate my data, meaning I could format, but I am not ready to yet. It has been less than 9 months and I need to get a little more use out of this install since my most recent install included a lot of extra setting up--it took a very long time to get going.

It seems that a simple repair which runs through the entire setup process over top of the old stops at the driver installation and appears to be continuing but actually doen't. I did reinstall Windows to a Windows2 folder and can boot fine to that version but it doesn't have anything like programs, drivers, preferences, etc. Switching drivers takes about 10 seconds in the device drivers panel but I can't get into Windows! Safe mode, last known good config, etc. do not work, either. Is there a way to modify the windows folder and update the driver to use?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Even though it hasn't been that long since I posted my question, I have decided to format. And, I'm going to clear all my drives and redesign my RAID setup, meaning I have to backup over 100 Gb of active data. Fear not, though--the reason that particular data is not backed up is because it's directly from tape (video) and I don't need backups because it's my working data until I get it on DVD, then I backup the DVDs.

I figure if I get my data moved to another drive and the computer formatted, I can spend 6 hours or so tomorrow night setting it up. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back