Computer Freeze MSI GTX 970 only in games

Gokay

Hello guys,

I'M having trouble benchmark testing or either playing any games with my MSI Gtx 970. I can play games like 30 seconds to 3 minutes and it freeze the whole comp. I have tried like 30 times same result. Than I'm having trouble turning on my PC too. It keeps restarting itself like 5 6 times then it works.

Even If I try to run my comp specs on systemrequirementslab, my computer keeps freezing. If I dont have to do anything with the graphic card; my computer runs pretty smooth actually.

I have removed GPU and used MOBO's dvi to tried those and worked perfectly (I mean didn't freeze at least)

I Just bought some of my computer parts and recently changed so they are all new. (mobo & CPU & GPU) I have also done my whole formatting, installed new OS and installed new drivers.

I thought It might be my MOBO's bios so I have also updates that too but still no help.
sad.gif

Can you please help me to figure out if its a hardware problem or not?

My Comp Specs:

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU i7 4790k
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X87Z-UD5H
Memory
8.00 GB ddr3 1600mhz
Graphics Card(s)
MSI GTX 970
Sound Card
(1) Realtek High Definition Audio (2) Logitech G930 Headse
Monitor(s) DisplaysEdit Value
Samsung Syncmaster p2370
Screen ResolutionEdit Value
1920 x 1080
Hard Drives
(1) OCZ SSD 120gb
(2) WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0
PSU
Corsair tx850 watt

It sound like an overheating problem. Can you check if all the fans are working properly & are plugged in ?

Yes, case fans are working properly. I just tried with GPU Tweak they ran smooth.

And the GPU's fans are active whn I get in to game (when they need to) before it crashes..

Can you try running the game in windowed mode along with some software that reports real-time temp ( so you can keep an eye on the temp ) ? I used to have 2 screens and used the second one for temperature and other feedbacks while gaming, as I used to overclock way too much for my simple air-cooling to take.

I Uninstalled the antivirus and updates all drivers.. still no help

could my psu old for this rig?

Your PSU shouldn't be the problem. If I were you, I'd download a version of linux ( prefferably Ubuntu ( it's free ) ), and try benchmarking in there, just to remove the possibility of a faulty windows installation.

"could my psu old for this rig?" Could your PSU be too old for this rig? How old is it? Yes you could try another power supply after doing all that you have here

Thank you for your help

I had to take everything to tech service. They told they have seen this motherboard and processor conflict a lot.
Z87X series are not compatible with i7 4790k. As far as what I understood.

They changed my motherbard with Z97X and its running fine so far.

FYI.

I have an i7 4790k and an Asus ROG Hero VII motherboard... I have been having random shutdowns and random freeze ups.
I have changed parts out one at a time and narrowed it down to a cpu or a motherboard...but browsing the internet forums I see that many i7 4790k users with various makes of motherboards are having random freezing issues also as well as some shutdowns... This is my first Intel in over 7 years... I am not a fanboy of any company, rather just of what works with no headaches. I have built over 10 AMD computers for different people and not 1 AMD computer has given me headaches like this. I may end up switching back to AMD when DDR4 and Zen CPU's come out, just to see if my headaches will go away. The i7 is very very powerful when it works...but I think I have given up on Intel for a bit again and may give them a go again in 8 years or so.

Back