Computer freeze problem

Hi guys I am new to this forum, but thought somebody could help me out with this annoying problem I recently had with my computer. Much appreciated.

To start off, here’s my spec,

AMD Phenom II x3 710
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
G-Skill 4G DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
ATI RADEON HD 4890

Recently I decided to overclock my computer a little bit, you know, just simply raising the FBS and test stability and stuff, just to learn more about computers.

The highest speed I got to was 3.0 GHz, because I’m new to this so I didn’t want to go too far, and I only got stock fun as well.

My last configuration on the BIOS was this (and I never touched other configs);

Frequency: 2990
Ref*multi: 230*13
NB frequency: 2100
All others are in Auto mode.

I then ran Prime95 for 12h without any error, and temperature is around 44c (however when I ran prime95, the temperature raised to almost 70c), so I thought perhaps the system is stable, I then go on and played some game, Dirt3 and FIFA11. However after I entered the game for 5-10m, my computer freezes, no blue screen though, just freeze. This happens only when I play big games.

So I used the jumper on my motherboard and reset the BIOS, I thought the problem would go away but it didn’t, same thing still happening. So I did some research and ran Memtest86+ as well without any error.

This is where I’m up to at the moment; I don’t know where to look for problems and how to fix them anymore. Please help me get my computer back to normal. I’d never do overclock again I think…

If you need more information, I’d be happy to provide. Thank you!

Hi,

If a specific program keeps freezing, uninstall it and try reinstalling it again. You should run frequent virus scans to detect and remove malicious files. If you do not have an antivirus program, consider a free antivirus program such as AVG . Avoid installing applications that your computer does not have adequate hardware for. If an application requires a minimum of 1GB of RAM and your computer only has 128MB of RAM, it's probably not a good idea to install it on your computer. Run a registry cleaner program such as CCleaner to remove unnecessary registry files.

Back