Computer freezes a few min. after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisplayError

I tried to install bandwidth meter, and during the install, a warning came up saying something about a program that was incompatible with my windows. I continued the install, but another warning came up, and I looked it up on google, only to be redirected to this forum. After reading the thread that I found on google, I canceled the install and restarted my computer. A few minutes after everything loaded, my computer completely froze. Does anyone know how this problem could be solved? My computer runs windows xp sp2. Thanks for any answers.

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 just before windows begins to load and do a system restore to a date before you tried that bit of software. That will hopefully fix your problem.

Thanks for the advice; but I can't really get into safe mode for some reason. I was wondering, is it possible to reformat my computer so that the files on a partitioned drive wouldn't be erased?
Edit - I tried reformatting, but my pc went to some screen that asked me to enter safe mode; I entered safe mode, did a system restore, and everything works fine now. Thanks for the help, Rik. Your posts in this thread and other threads were very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back