Computer freezes after 30 minutes of playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

Computer freezes after playing games for a while

Whenever I play games my computer freezes almost exactly 30 minutes after playing them, I can't do anyting no control, alt delete or minimize and the mouse doesn't move I just have to press the restart button. I bought a new graphics card back in september and it hasn't given me any problems until now. Well actully I don't know if it is the graphics card, it problay isn't. Does anyone have any ideas help please it is getting so annoying online. Like when I play Age of Empires III I just leave my ally all alone because I have to restart my computer.

Maybe it doesn't stop after 30 minutes I was play counter Strike source and it took over an hour before it froze up please help. Thanks

Sounds like either a heat problem, or a psu problem.

Check your temps.

Is your psu putting out enough power for your system?

I see from your specs that you have a 380watt psu. Is it a good quality psu, or a cheap no name brand that came with your case?

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator HERE Remember to add a further 30% to what ever figure it gives you. This is because even a good quality psu will only achieve around 70% efficiency. A cheap psu wont achieve anywhere near that.

You might also want to take a look at this excellent article on psu`s.The psu thread.

Regards Howard :) :)

Any new PCI-E card should have a minimum of a 450 watt power supply in my opinion, make sure you have everything plugged in, and that power is getting to the card. Check temps like he said, and make sure you have latest drivers.

Well it is a cheap power supply :eek: raidmax if you have ever heard of it. My graphics card uses an agp slot and I am only using aroud 250 watts. I also know that I have all the newest drivers. I will check the temps thanks for you help so far.

Cheap is right! Id get that Raidmax PS out of there as soon as possible. Thay have a bad reputation. Ive had one that wrecked the whole system. You can get a good Antec or Enermax for $40-60.

Personally if your upgrading your machine a lot, go with the OCZ Powersteam 520 Watt DUAL-SLI ready. Its 150$ canadian which is a good chunk, but this thing will go to the complete end, and is amazing for overclocking junkies.

Okay I have decided that I will get the power supply out I buy a new one. I checked my temputures out and the cpu was 87 to 89 degrees F and the M/B (I not sure what it is, maybe motherboard) is 105 to 130 degress F.

This is the power supply that I think I will get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I know it isn't antec or enermax but I have heard thermaltake is a good brand too. Tell if you think it is good and with those temps do you think that I should put some fans in my computer because I don't have any right now this is quite embarrassing. I currently don't a whole lot of money and I want a sound blaster sound card.

Thanks so far

Trust me man, you don't want to go with a cheapo, won't help much. You can buy this, fairly good PSU for 10 bucks more that gets better reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182020
Rosewill is a very good company, for all types of computer parts, and this is probably the best cheapo out there right now for 10 bucks. The guy that baught it said it holds V-rails almost perfectly at 100% computer usage so you should be fine if you don't overclock. GOOD LUCK, please let me know what you do.

Are you sure that rosewill is as good a company as thermaltake, I thought that I had found the perfect power supply. I will see if anyone else responds and then make my desicion. I have some rosewill ram and is has worked fine for me though.

What did you think of my temps though were they high or average.

My buddy of mine (Massive Overkill), builds massive overkill machines. For 3 years he has helped me build my machines, and he knows more about machines then probably 80-90% of the people on this forum. I trust his word, and so far it has delivered every single time. Thermaltake is also known for there cases and Average CPU Fan/heatsinks, not there powersupplies.

I'm having the same trouble, except I can only dream of lasting 30 minutes in ANY game before I sieze up. Same goes with running 3dMark05. My power supply is an enermax 350W...according to the power supply calculator posted above...I'm only using around 290W. could it still be the power supply?? (2 years old)

Here's a link to my thread where I posted my mini-dumps hoping someone can figure out the cause:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic36787.html

Okay once again my computer froze and so I restarted and just to be curious I checked my temps after games, I don't know why I hadn't done it before and my cpu temp was 189 degrees F and now that you mentioned that you very smart friend says that thermaltake is noted for there power supplies I will stick with the rosewill.

Thats a good discision, but the fact that your CPU is getting that hot, might suggest other wise. Now it may be possible your CPU is getting way too much voltage to get that high, check your CPU Voltage in Bios (if your CPU is at stock speeds, voltage should be no more than 1.400, usually sits at 1.375). Your CPU might also be damaged, or your fan/heatsink is a piece of ****.

oops somehow it was getting 1.550 I guess that was most likely the problem but I think I am still going to get a new power supply I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you think that I have done any damage to my cpu.

Thanks for all of you help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back