Computer freezes after security download

By akc
Aug 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm a computer novice. I downloaded an update to my internet security software. I rebooted the computer as instructed. (I have Win98.) Upon rebooting, just before I am supposed to get to the network logon screen, the computer freezes. The fans stop working. The yellow light that indicates activity stops. No noise. Nothing. It does the same thing in safe mode.

The company that makes the internet security product says they can't help me. I have limited resources but am willing to fix this myself.

Can anyone help me? I'm on my mother-in-law's computer away from home.
  2. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

What software suite is this that you updated?
  3. akc

akc Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I deleted Norton and loaded McAfee Internet Security initially. The program that prompted me to restart the computer to finalize the installation was the Spam Killer portion of McAfee. I looked on other boards and found a way to get the computer going again. I reinstalled a previous registry (I am a real novice at this. I know enough to be dangerous.) and got the computer to work again. However, I think my daughter did something and we had to cold boot the computer. It did the same thing. I reinstalled the same registry as before and I'm typing this message as a result.

Thx for replying
  4. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

Your best bet at this point is to try a repair install using your Windows CD.
  5. akc

akc Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Fixed?

I restored the registry from a previous day. My husband did something else. It seems to work now.

We are going to try to limp along until we can get another computer.

Thanks for your help!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.