Computer Freezes and will not shutdown clean

By WildCard
Nov 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i know these symptoms are vague but my computer randomly freezes and will not perform a clean shutdown from a normal startup. i have run check disk. i have no viruses except for windows XP. is there any way for me to easily figure this out without paying someone to look at it? i have done a shutdown but from safe mode. thank you for your time
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

try running system files checker. put your XP disk in the optical drive, open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow this will check your system for missing or damaged files.
  3. WildCard

WildCard Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

scannned clean. what next?
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Did you install or uninstall and software or hardware before this problem started?
  5. WildCard

WildCard Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

erm. a few. like AVG antivirus, and ZoneAlarm. but the computer ran fine with all those programs for 2 weeks. and all my other pcs use those programs also. there is nothing extra i have dont to that one than any other i own. and my wireless in not cannecting again. even after the safe mode clean shutdown
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.