Computer freezes at bios or memory check screens.

By cardriverx
Oct 7, 2006
  1. hi! my names steve and i live near philly. i joind this forum because i really need help with a problem, and here it is: i just built my computer (asus p5nsli mobo, core 2 2.13gig processor, pny nvidia 7600gt, 2gig ocz mem, 550W Rosewill turbo series powersupply) and when i start it, it freezes on the bios screen, or at the memory check screen. if i turn it off and on about 5 to 8 times, it will eventually work. thats how i got windows to install. the only problem i can see is that when i run speedfan, my +3.3 voltage is reading 0v, my -12v is reading between -2 and -6v, and my -5v is reading around -2 to -3v. why is it doing that? could the powersupply cause it to freeze? what elese could cause this? also, the computer did restart itself a few times, but it hasent done it for awhile so i dont think that is a problem anymore. thanks alot guys, i really need the help!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

I think you have a faulty power supply. Make sure you have all the power supply connections like a 4-pin molex, or the power connection to your video card if any... Rosewill isn't the best manufacturer out there. Your Speedfan readings are way off, but I don't necessairly trust them
  3. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

It could also be a ram issue, check it out with memtest (google it)!!!!

The reason your voltages are so off is that speedfan was only designed for 32bit processor systems!
  4. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

i am using 32 bit windows, i dident want to up to the 64 bit
  5. filipmike33

filipmike33 TS Member Posts: 34

try changing your power supply then post back what happened
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.