Computer freezes everytime after boot.

By civilag
Jan 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I built my first comp this summer with some help. Worked perfectly until about 2 months ago. It froze on me as I booted it up. Turned it off and tried it again same thing. Nothing fixed it. Had it looked at by some pros and told me I needed a new Mobo. Had the mobo replaced with same model only to have it happen again only when the harddrive was attached. Tried repairing the harddrive only to have the system lock up during the repair process. Put in a brand new HDrive and tried to run a fresh install of windows only to have it freeze up on the new hard drive during the install. At my wits end. Could the problem be a bad CPU?? What else could the problem be???

AMD 64 3400+
    K8T Neo-FIS2R
    1G Corsiar XMS
    420W Vantec
    9800 Pro 256Mb
    WD Caviar SE 160gig(SATA)
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot!
    If you hace a PC health type page in you CMOS setup ,go there and check CPU temps and voltages readings from the PSU.
    If you have more than 1 pc of Ram try swapping with just 1 in to see if there is a bad strip.
    Let us know what your trouble shooting discovers.
  3. civilag

civilag Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice liquidlen. I took a stick of ram out and ran the comp with only one in and it worked fine. I was able to get the new hard drive up and running. However when I reinstalled the old drive it froze up on me again. I think there's a bigger problem with my old harddrive. Anyway, all's well for now. Gonna see about getting the stick looked at and the old drive replaced. Thanks alot.

andy
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.