Computer freezes in certain situations

By Camo
May 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have had this problem for a while now and it is getting very annoying. When ever i play any game (like oblivion, counter strike:source, world of warcraft and Fear) i can play for so long then it will just freeze and i can here the sound at the point it froze repeating (the sound usually continues for a couple of seconds longer then when the game freezes) then its just about half a second of the sound from the game constantly repeating until i reboot it manually. Sometimes i can play for an hour of 2 and other times it will happen the second i get in the game. i found that it does it more often in certain areas of the game, and in counter strike it also does it on certain actions, but usually its random. i have a new computer i have recently built and its specs are:

CPU: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (64 bit)
    Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2
    RAM: 1 x 1GB DDR2
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256mb PCI express
    PSU: 450W [ +3.3V with 25A] [+5V with 35A] [+12V with 16A]
    HDD: 160GB [WDC WD1600JB-19GVA0]
    Wireless card: D-Link AirPlus G+ DWL-G520+

I did a monitor on the +12V rail with SpeedFan i think its ok but i wouldnt really know. i couldnt get a pic to add to the thread but when i started playing any of the games it would jump around a bit but never go any less then about 0.4V under the normal level which was about 12.36V.

i have tried formatting and i get the same freezing, and it also freezes randomly when i am browsing a pdf, apart from games and the pdf it has never frozen anywere else.

Hopefully someone can help solve this problem as i cant use any games or browse pdf's. any help would be appreciated, if you need to know anything else about the computer just ask.

thanks
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

My guess is either a driver conflict, dying PSU or dying ram.

Have a look here, and try the suggestions to help troubleshoot and narrow things down a bit. http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html

We'll get you up and running!
  3. Camo

Camo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

temp

also with speedfan when i look at the temperature monitor there are 4 readings... temp1,temp2,temp3 and HD0. they all have ticks except for temp3 which has a fire symbol and is running at 55 C

temp1 = 43 C
    temp2 = 40 C
    temp3 = 55 C
    HD0 = 37 C

and my friend has the exact same computer with only a different CPU he has a P4 3.0 GHz 64bit, but video card, motherboard, ram, everything but CPU are identical and he has temp1 temp2 temp3 and HD0 just like me but his temp3 is only 7 C and has a tick beside it not a fire symbol
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.