Computer Freezes on Boot

By 0009
Apr 6, 2006
  1. okay, so i built this computer about 2 months ago. Here are the specs

Amd Athlon Venice 3200+
    Western Dig HD 80 gb as slave
    Maxtor 20 gb as master [this is a 1 year old hd] has been working well with 2 diff comps.
    2 stick of RAM Corsair 1gb
    Gigabyte Socket 939 MOBO
    ATI Radeon 9250 [from my old comp] getting newer soon.

:Edit: also i took it to bestbuy...they say maybe it could be the power supply [350volt] came with the case...they ran a test on it in front of me and it said the -5 charge or w/e wasnt buy eats up ppls money for sure..

also the temperature is 35 celcius

ive tried different a diff video card and it still freezes up, i think it may be caused by the usb...whenever i started it there would be a popup saying usb device not recognized...even though i didnt connect anything..

help me out

-heart in a cage
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It may indeed be your psu that`s causing the problem.

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator. Add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you, for a safety margin.

Let us know what figure you get.

You might also be interested in this. The psu thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. 0009

0009 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hmmm i dont know if i filled them all correctly because i dont have a watercooler and such but it said the power supply i should have should be around 270 watts...and i have a 350 watt...does a higher wattage psu have a bad effect on a comp?
  4. howard_hopkinso

No. a higher wattage psu won`t harm anything in your computer.

If that psu you have is the one that came with your case, it`s probably a cheap no name brand and maybe struggling to put out enough power for your system.

Try a different psu and see if it helps any. Antec/Enermax/Fortron are all good quality psu`s

Download the free Everest programme from HERE.

Let us know what your system temps are and your psu`s voltages.

Regards Howard :)
  5. 0009

update: well after taking it to best buy they said it was a defective motherboard...they said they tried other psus and it still wouldnt boot. argh now i have to send the mobo back to newegg. and replace it with a better one, same kind .
  6. howard_hopkinso

I`m sorry to hear that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards Howard :)
  7. 0009

thanks, i try to reply back because you guys do as well at school my only computer for now :-(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.