Computer Freezes on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

okay, so i built this computer about 2 months ago. Here are the specs

Amd Athlon Venice 3200+
Western Dig HD 80 gb as slave
Maxtor 20 gb as master [this is a 1 year old hd] has been working well with 2 diff comps.
2 stick of RAM Corsair 1gb
Gigabyte Socket 939 MOBO
ATI Radeon 9250 [from my old comp] getting newer soon.

:Edit: also i took it to bestbuy...they say maybe it could be the power supply [350volt] came with the case...they ran a test on it in front of me and it said the -5 charge or w/e wasnt working...best buy eats up ppls money for sure..

also the temperature is 35 celcius

ive tried different a diff video card and it still freezes up, i think it may be caused by the usb...whenever i started it there would be a popup saying usb device not recognized...even though i didnt connect anything..

help me out

-heart in a cage

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It may indeed be your psu that`s causing the problem.

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator. Add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you, for a safety margin.

Let us know what figure you get.

You might also be interested in this. The psu thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hmmm i dont know if i filled them all correctly because i dont have a watercooler and such but it said the power supply i should have should be around 270 watts...and i have a 350 watt...does a higher wattage psu have a bad effect on a comp?

No. a higher wattage psu won`t harm anything in your computer.

If that psu you have is the one that came with your case, it`s probably a cheap no name brand and maybe struggling to put out enough power for your system.

Try a different psu and see if it helps any. Antec/Enermax/Fortron are all good quality psu`s

Download the free Everest programme from HERE.

Let us know what your system temps are and your psu`s voltages.

Regards Howard :)

update: well after taking it to best buy they said it was a defective motherboard...they said they tried other psus and it still wouldnt boot. argh now i have to send the mobo back to newegg. and replace it with a better one, same kind .

ya

thanks, i try to reply back because you guys do as well :-D...im at school my only computer for now :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back