Computer Freezes Playing Games

By buffdaddy110
Dec 3, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After playing a game for awhile my monitor will pixelate and put itself into powersave mode, and the PC will lock up. I have to shut the PC off with the power button and turn it back on with the power button. I've tried a new monitor, memory, hard drive, and bios upgrade. The only thing I haven't changed is the CPU, sound card, power supply, video card, or motherboard. I don't do any overclocking and the PC is running cool. Also, all drivers are current. This is the hardware I currently have;

Athlon 64 3400+ (newcastle)
    MSI K8N NEO Platinum NForce 3
    Maxtor 300 Gb SATA Diamond Max 10
    2 X 512 OCZ EL PC3200
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    OCZ 420 Watt Dual Adjustable Rail Power Supply
    Windows Xp Pro with SP2
    BFG 6800 GT
  2. buffdaddy110

buffdaddy110 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 38

I noticed my 3.3 volt rail on my power supply is at 3.06. I heard it should really never be below 3.3. Could this be a cause?
  3. patio

patio TechSpot Maniac Posts: 700

Seeing as your system has more than enough gusto for gaming yes i would suspect the PSU...
    Just to be sure DLoad and run memtest for that RAM, test one stick at a time and let it run for a few hours.
    Any errors means faulty RAM and it should be replaced.

patio. :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.