Computer freezes upon initial power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everytime i turn on my computer it just locks up on the initial MB screen. I have to hit the reset button 4-5 times before it makes it past the MB screen and starts loading windows XP. Once WinXP boots up I get a "resart your computer for the updates to take affect; yes/no" prompt. I always hit no. Once i do that the computer works fine. I have recently reflashed my bios to try and fix the problem (didn't help). Please help. I'm lost and this is buging the crap out of me. Thx in advance for any help.

Have you tried loading Bios (CMOS) defaults?

If this is a Desktop computer?
I would suggest to open the case (some hardware and electrostatic precautions to take)
Then remove all internal dust, and reseat all PCI cards, Ram and even re-connect HardDrive/DVD

If it still happens, then the first hardware option would be PowerSupply, followed by Ram then the Drive, then the Motheboard.

A better way to diagnose your system would be via BenchTesting it.

If this is a Laptop computer?
I would suggest to re-seat the Ram card(s) (cover underneath Laptop)
And also re-seat the actual HardDrive.

In all cases, you should always complete all Windows security updates, and answer Yes to restarting. This will help keep your computer up to date (just like you did with the bios update) And also secure.

You missed out the fact you had a virus on this post and it is important for people who are trying to help you to know. Or have you fixed it? It is quite common for them to give the symptoms you describe especially if you have a few up and running and if one got in well there are probably more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back