Computer freezes when about to join game server

Status
Not open for further replies.

conscious1

I recently installed a AMD64 3400+ CPU onto a Chaintech S1689 socket 939 motherboard with 510mb of ddr400 pc3200 ram. However, when I try to join a game server in counterstrike source, the loading screen freezes just before I enter the game and my pc reboots. I have installed the latest drivers on the motherboard and graphics card, and the settings are nowhere near being too demanding of the card. I have the XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP in it. Any ideas?

download and run memtest to detect any memory problems. does the system crash during other games/applications too? update your sound card drivers, if not done so already.

I only have that one game (other than flash games, etc). It does not crash in any other applications, but it probably does in other demanding games as far as I know. I will try running memtest as well as updating sound drivers.

did you have an older machine that you added said parts to without reformating/reinstalling windows?

No, I did reinstall windows.

I'm running Windows XP SP2.

Also, when I speak into my microphone, the recording is very distortedt and sharp sounds can be heard. However my speakers and heaphones work perfectly. My microphone was fine before the installation of the new parts. I did try updating my sound drivers, to no avail.

I've also just noticed something else. When I was transfering mp3s from a dvd to my hard drive, sharp sounds could be heard through my headphones at odd intervals. The transfer of data also slowed dramatically (may have even stopped, it wasn't moving when I stopped it). This is getting rather frustrating.

Hey...

So, obviously you have a hardware issue, and there is only one way to sort it out, through process of elimination... this is sometimes difficult if you don't have a store of the same parts lying around to test it with.

Anyway you can start with what you have but I recommend taking it back to your PC vendor so they can sort the problem out for you.
1) Unplug the dvd drive, and test...
2) If possible, find another HD and reload windows on it and test...
3) If you have two ram modulles remove one, test, swop them, test...
4) It could also be the display card so see if you can loan one and test your pc with it...
5) Remove all pci cards and test

The idea here is to test them individualy and see if there isn't a change after doing one thing. I suspect it could be your motherboard, but for you to test that you would need a professional enviroment with stock to test it with, like a PC shop, take it back and let somebody else sort your problem out...

Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back