Computer freezes while playing WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this (I'm new here) but here I go.
Basically, anytime I try to play World of Warcraft, the whole computer freezes and I have to manually restart it. I think the computer would restart itself but I unchecked "Automatically restart" under the Startup and Recovery tab in Windows. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro and also unchecked "enable VPU recovery" from some advice I got somewhere else. The idea behind doing both of those is that it shouldnt have to do either of those in the first place if everything was working right. I'm kind of a noob at fixing problems so bare with me. I have a suspicion that my power supply is to blame but I'm really just guessing here. I have a 450W power supply that came with the case I bought so it might not be the best. I put the rest of my system specs in a .txt file (using Everest Home Edition) so you guys can see. Any help?

Attachments

• Report.txt
    41.9 KB · Views: 6
welcome to techspot MrPoo (hehe),

it would be wise to replace that generic power supply regardless of whether or not it is the source of your problem. not only will it fail to provide it's 'rated' power output, but if it's on it's way out then it may take some other components out with it.

besides your PSU as a possible culprit, check your temps as well to make sure nothing is overheating.

cheers :wave:

Well I was going to make a report of all the temperatures and voltages when World of Warcraft was on but this time it didnt even make it past the username and login screen before it froze. The odd thing is that I can still play a memory intensive game like Battlefield 2142 without any freezing but not WoW. I put on BF2142 and got in a game and then alt+tabbed back to desktop and made everest make a report of my system info. The temperatures seem only slightly higher than what they were when my system was idle. As far as the voltages go, I really dont know how to read those and have no idea how to measure if the power supply is acting right or not. Here is the new .txt file of the report I made while playing a game of BF2142

Attachments

• Report2.txt
    41.7 KB · Views: 5
try to optimize you browser... and also to top that make sure no other programs are running while accesing WoW.. it cna also be a good advantage if your using a much higher memory for the program... check the compatability

The only things that are running besides the SYSTEM tasks and a few LOCAL SERVICE tasks are

MOM.exe - part of ATI
CCC.exe - part of ATI
explorer.exe
avgcc.exe - part of avg
soundman.exe - part of AC 97

As far what you said about memory, I'm not sure what you mean. I have 2 sticks of 512 MB. The minimum system requirements for WoW is 512 MB. Also I checked the memory usage while WoW was running and I was only using about 712 MB of RAM out of the 1024 MB

Okay here is some lovely new info to add to the mix. As I was searching around the internet for some information that might help. My computer froze and took me to a blue screen that said KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR at which point I had to manually restart. I wish i would have taken a better look at some of the numbers it had. Does this have something to do with the page file? I have two drives. My C drive has windows and all my programs installed on it. My D drive has all my storage and also the page file.

Well good news. I sort of fixed it. I think I have more than one problem with my computer though. So I was messing with the BIOS settings trying to figure something out. I must have changed something that didnt sit well with the computer because it wouldnt show anything on the screen when I tried to turn it on. So I reset the CMOS jumper on the motherboard and set the BIOS settings to their optimal defaults. Now no more freezes while playing WoW. I was playing for a good 4 hours without any problems which is much better compared to it freezing at the login screen. But I think I still have something screwy going on with my system though because after about 4 hours it finally froze. It was no biggie because I was going to sleep anyway but still. Maybe it just overheated or something.

:mad: Guess I spoke too soon. I just tried to play again now and it froze about 5 minutes into the game. sigh. Guess I'll try putting the page file back on my C drive because I think it might be having problems reading the page file from my D drive. At least that was one of the errors I saw in the event viewer from yesterday when it was really acting up. Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 3/23/2007
Time: 3:14:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: POOHUT
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Of course the microsoft help just tells me to basically buy a new hard drive if this persists...bleh. :(

Well tried switching the page file to the other drive. It still froze. I'm out of ideas now. I don't understand because it worked all last night but now (I changed nothing from last night!) it just freezes. I'm stumped:(

futher down in Micro$oft's support page...

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:

1. Boot Sector Virus
To determine if you have a boot sector virus, run a current virus-checking program, and if needed, disinfect your computer.

2. Not a Boot Sector Virus
• View the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that help you determine the device that is causing the error.
• Bad block. Stop 0x77 is caused by a bad block in a paging file, or a disk controller error, or in extremely rare cases it is caused when non-paged pool resources are unavailable.
• If the first and second parameters are 0, then the stack signature was not found in the kernel stack. The cause of this issue is defective hardware. If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI-based hard disk, you should verify the disk cabling and SCSI termination.
• If the I/O status code is 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A, this normally indicates that the data could not be read from the disk due to a bad block.
• If you can restart your computer after the error message, Autochk runs automatically and tries to map out the bad sector. If for some reason Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually start the disk scanner. If your computer is formatted with the NTFS file system, run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart your computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start your computer due to this issue, use the Command Console and run Chkdsk /r.
• Defective or unreliable random access memory (RAM) is another common cause of this issue.
• Verify that all the adapter cards in your computer are properly seated.
• Ensure that all adapter card contacts are clean.
• Disable system caching in the BIOS to see if this resolves the error.
• If this does not resolve the issue, your computer mainboard (motherboard) may be damaged.

EDIT: when running your anti-virus program, make sure it is updated to the lastest virus database. also make sure you have it set on the most thorough/in-depth scan possible (in other words... no "quick scan" or "standard scan")

:wave:

I had the same issue

Are you getting artifacs or little white dots, lines all on your screen right before it freezes? I had this very same issue, it ended up being my video card, I took off the heat sink and fan off my 7800GT and found a thick wall of dust bunnies restricting flow between fan and heatsink the side by side type. Anyway the damage was done. I would clear out your pc with a air can if you havent already and look at your heat sinks and make sure they arent clogged up. This happened to me with a great antec PSU which are known for being good. I upgraded to a 8800GTS and it went away. I just got a new replacement 7800GT from MSI and probally going to put it on ebay to make some money back on it. Or I might just keep it for future troubleshooting issues. What do you guys think I should start bid at, resonable price. I bought if for a little over $300 about a year ago. I was thinking of posting it for $200 or so to start.

EvilFallenAngel said:
What do you guys think I should start bid at, reasonable price. I bought if for a little over $300 about a year ago. I was thinking of posting it for $200 or so to start.
I did a search of completed listings for 7800GT and pretty much the highest price they are goin for is about ~$130-$150.

that being said, starting your 7800GT at $200 will likely result in your auction not even receiving 1 bid. It is frustrating when you spemd alot of money on a component only to realize that a few weeks later ist's worth [at best[ half of it's original price.

:wave:

Your right about price drop, but what I noticed about all those cards that i searched they are used, mine is a new MSI 7800GT a replacement to a unit I RMA'd. I wonder if I post it on Ebay as new OEM if I could post it for higher, used I found for 150-175 like you said but new I should be able to start at 200 and maybe get a bite.

This problem has gone way past WoW now. My computer is getting all kinds of errors. I think something in my computer is going out or something. I'll have to run a full system scan when I get the chance but I dont see how I could have gotten a virus considering I reformatted only a day or two before my first post. My computer seems to be having problems reading from my D drive. Sometimes it won't even read that I have a D drive. I was listening to music earlier (which is on my D drive). Everything was fine. After a couple of songs I clicked on a different song and I just heard my D drive click and no song was playing. The program kind of froze and then my computer just turned black and restarted. I've also gotten a few blue screens here and there lately. I checked my event viewer and it was chock full of errors and warnings. Heres a rundown of them. Most of them are repeated. There was no CD in the CD rom so I dont know what that first error is about. I'm not sure what the firmware error is about.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Cdrom
Date: 3/26/2007
Time: 7:17:03 PM
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation.

Event Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4226
Time: 10:46:56 PM
Description:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Event Source: Disk
Time: 11:11:35 PM
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event ID: 9
Time: 11:11:45 PM
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event Source: atapi
Event ID: 26
Time: 11:12:50 PM
Description:
The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

I've been experiencing this same problem. My assumption is that the problem is part of the new patch 2.0.10 (Though I've only been experiencing it on 2.0.12, which was released two days ago.)
Since the intervals are random, and seem to only have popped up recently, this would make sense. I have a question, though. Does it happen on every one of your characters, does it become more frequent every time you restart, and does your computer shut down for about 3 seconds after you turn it on following a freeze (e.g. You press the power button after shutting it down because of a freeze, and it turns on, then off, then on again.)
I only seem to have the problem in Tirisfal Glades or Scarlet Monastery, while my main in Outlands has no trouble whatsoever. Another one of my guildmates has the same problem

The computer would freeze (not turn black) and I would have to manually restart it by pushing the button. This would happen any time WoW was running. Sometimes I wouldnt even get passed the login in screen. I fixed my problem though. It turns out that one of the fans in my computer had a faulty wire that was screwing up the power supply to the rest of the system. Changed the fan out and now everything is fine and dandy. In response to your question. It didnt matter on any of the characters (as I wouldnt even get to login as any of them before it froze). The freezing did seem to become more frequent. At first I could play for a few minutes and then later I couldnt even get past the login. No the computer would not shut down 3 seconds after I turned it on. I will say this though. I had a similar problem like you are experience before (not this problem I am talking about) The game would freeze anytime I got close to that lake by Brill (forgot what the name was). At any other location it would run fine. I tried the repair tool but still it did nothing. I tried reinstalling WoW and the problem went away. My advice, if all else fails, try reinstalling WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back