Computer Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintendo

My computer freezes from time to time. Sometimes when it is idle and sometimes when I move my mouse after being idle for few hours. I can't have the computer up for more then 24 hrs. I have formated several times and nothing changes the computer keeps freezing.
Can anyone help me with this ?

are there any devices in device manager that have yellow question marks or yellow triangles with exclamation points in them next to them?

Sounds like a hibernation or sleep problem to me. Try turning off those settings and see if that doesn't get rid of the problem.

Where can I see the specs again, The computer temp. is usaly from 50 - 60°C. iss yes there were 2 Sm BUS controler and Universal Serial Bus (UBS) Controler. But now they are instaled.

Be warned... I've run into 3 instances of Windows XP freezing because of an update. If you have SP1 installed, remove it along with all the hotfixes. If you computr quits freezing afterward, then the problem is with a Windows XP update.

You'll know if it is it not because when you install or uninstall SP1, your computer will freeze in the middle of the installation.

If you don't have SP1 installed, then disable automatic updates because this is what often causes the freezing.

I'm not saying this is it, but it certainly worth looking into.

Set your screensaver to "none". Change your Power Setting to "none" or "disabled". Test. If this does not help, then go to Start / Run / MSCONFIG. Tab to Startup and uncheck any applications that are not needed to run your system. This URL will help with that decision ......http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.php ... Now test your computer. If this doesn't help, start your computer in Safe Mode and let it sit and see if lock ups or not. Last, a Power Supply that drops its voltage delivery can cause the system to lock up randomly or even power off. The same thing with the CPU and RAM.

this worked for me...

Hi.

I was having trouble w/ perhaps the same issue, at least it sounds like it.

Running Vista :rolleyes:

Gateway DX4800-05e
Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 GHz 2.50 GHz
RAM 6.00 GB
64 bit operating system

At 1st thought it was Norton 360 related.
Did tech support. After several attempts and system restores, no luck.

What worked was:

go to start menu

enter RUN >

enter in MSCONFIG >

select the "Startup" tab

select "Disable all"

then select "Apply"

restart computer.

Seems to have gotten rid of the freezing issue for me.

Because Windows freezing can be related to so many things, a general answer can't work here.
But when all else **fails** to point to the hardware as a problem, I find two useful approaches that usually work.
1) run file error checking, chkdsk /f - this makes sense particularly if Windows is searching for a file that has lost clusters!
2) run System File Checker - sfc /scannow. Once again, this makes sense if Windows needs a system file that is inconsistent with other dll's AND it cannot find the one it needs.
3) otherwise, it is usually a hardware problem in my experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back