Computer Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a computer off an auction site and it keeps freezing.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
764 MB RAM (512 PC 3200 and 256 PC2300, though crashes with individual ram in also)
GF FX5200 256MB AGP 4x
160GB + 40GB HDDs
L7S7A2 Motherboard

The freezes will happen at a random time, to which I have to reboot. Afterwards it is more likely to freeze quicker. Taking the panel off seems to make it last longer so I guess it's a heating issue.

I know it's not ram as they have been memchecked. Its not either of the harddrives (unless it is both) as I have formatted and reinstalled from both.

It is not the CPU temperature, at least I am fairly sure, as it seems to hover at 49 degrees most of the time, peaking so far at 51.

It may be my graphics card for some reason, though in my last computer it went fine. It is a GF FX5200, nothing fancy. The AGP slot is an 8x, so could this cause any freezing? I'm fairly sure the card is 4x but I don't think it matters.

I have used RivaTuner to underclock the graphics card to 50% and it seems to have helped but still get random crashes.
There are no artifacts sppearing on the screen which makes me think its not a 3d card issue.

There is no onboard video.

When I use a program to convert flv to avi files, the computer freezes almost instantly, even after graphics card underclock.

Any other suggestions guys? I can't swap video cards just yet (gotta buy another)...

I tried a different power supply to no change. Same rating (300) but the temps ran a little cooler. Still freezes in the same places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back